Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

AIRYLICK, FARMHOUSE AND CARTSHEDLB16831

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 17/12/1979

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Mochrum

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NX 31345 49393
  • Coordinates: 231345, 549393

Description

Late 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse; slightly lower pitch to jamb adjoined to rear, forming T-plan. Painted rubble; E and W elevations harled. Projecting cills. Set on sloping ground to S.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tall gabled stone porch at centre; panelled door, with fanlight, on return to W; set of steps, with red sandstone steps, up to door; window to S, and to E return. Regularly disposed fenestration; smaller window at centre at 1st floor.

W ELEVATION: window to right of centre at basement, and to right at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: window at centre at ground floor, and to left at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: window to both floors to left and right. Gabled jamb at centre; door to right, and window to both floors to left, to W return; window to both floors at centre to E return; blank to N. Plate glass glazing in sash and case windows. Coloured margin-pane glazing to window at centre at 1st floor to S elevation. Red sandstone coped skews and raised skewputts. Gablehead stacks, with red sandstone copes; harled to E and W, painted rubble to N. Small grey slates. Red sandstone ridges. Several octagonal cans.

CARTSHED: mid to later 19th century, small cartshed to S of steading. Rubble. Roof piended to S, gabled to N. Small grey slates. Red sandstone coped skews and ridges. Formerly 3-bay; N pier removed. Sculptured stone, of Celtic interlaced design, built into remaining S pier (see Notes).

Statement of Special Interest

In 1872/1873, the Rev Wilson describes the sculptured stone as having been "built into one of the pillars of a new cartshed"; he further states that the stone had been found when the foundations of an old outhouse at the farm were lifted. The nearby steading includes a post 1850 altered threshing barn, formerly with waterwheel.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 24 (surveyed 1847-48). SCULPTURED STONE. G Wilson "Notice of Sculptured Stones at Laggangarn, Mull of

Sunnoness, Airrelich and Cassendeoch, Wigtownshire". PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND 1872-74, p60. P H McKerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol II (1877) p263. J Allen THE EARLY CHRISTIAN MONUMENTS OF SCOTLAND (1903) p.485. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) p.85.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 27/08/2016 14:22