William MacGowan, 1834. Simple rectangular-plan 3-bay church
with round-headed windows with intersecting tracery,
bird-cage belfry above W gable, (altered) tall gabled vestry
and hall off-centre on E gable. Enclosed by churchyard.
CHURCH: rubble-built with contrasting red ashlar dressings
and chamfered margins. Square-headed main door (incorporating
carved medieval slab as lintel) on W gable in shallow
projecting vertical strip linked to belfry. Ball finial over
E gable. Vestry and hall with door in each flank, modern
glazing below slate-hung gable head. Roofed with graded
slates. Simple interior, renovated 1899; pulpit at E,
panelled vestibule at W.
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built walls with main gate at
E; extended to N in 20th century. Mostly 18th and 19th
century carved stone monuments; Rogerson burial enclosure
(red ashlar with rusticated quoins) with memorial to Dr John
Rogerson (1741-1823), first physician to the emperor of
Russia; Carruthers of Milne column near main gate.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A good 19th century country church in traditional style. The gothick style glazing pattern adds much to the character of the building.
The lintel of the west door of the church is a carved stone of considerable antiquity and interest (see RCAHMS Inventory). It is believed to date from the 9th century and have been part of cross-shaft. The carved ornamentation is similar to that found in Anglian metalwork and manuscripts and the stone is considered by the County Archaeologist to be one of the best examples of Anglian sculpture not currently in museum curation. It has been suggested that the stone may have come from Barneygill Chapel.
William MacGowan, the architect of the church, was a mason and burgess of Dumfries. No other examples of his work are known. His involvement here is recorded in the Heritors Records, held at the National Archives (reference given in Colvin).
List description updated June 2008.