Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DUNRAGIT HOUSELB16786

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1972
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Old Luce
NGR
NX 14975 58195
Coordinates
214975, 558195

Description

Late 18th century, incorporating earlier, possibly late 17th century, fabric; later additions. 3-storey, 4-bay (2-2) mansion house, now sub-divided into flats; 2-storey, U-plan courtyard to rear. Washed rubble. Raised margins; architraved margins at ground and 1st floors to S elevation. Angle margins. Eaves cornice.

S ELEVATION: broad pedimented bay advanced at centre, containing centre 2 bays, with flat-roofed porch advanced at ground. Porch: pebble-dashed, with red sandstone ashlar dressings; door to corniced rectangular projection at centre; large bowed windows to left and right; Tuscan columns at angles to left and right; spearhead railing forming balcony. Regularly disposed fenestration at ground, 1st and 2nd floors; tall windows at 1st floor, except in bay to outer right. Window at ground floor to E return of pedimented bay. Oculus, with moulded surround in gablehead; gablehead stack.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay (1-2) at ground and 1st floors; windows at centre and to right, those at centre with possibly late 17th century margins; blind windows to left. Window at centre at 2nd floor, with fire escape. Fire escape door slapped to right in gablehead. 2 storey wing adjoined to right. Flat-roofed single storey addition (ballroom/billiard room), possibly 1915-16, advanced from it; Venetian window to S; bowed bay, with 3 windows, to left, narrow window flanking to right, and 2 windows to right, to E; door slapped to N.

W ELEVATION: windows to left at ground and 1st floor; tall window to right at 1st floor. 2-storey, 3-bay wing adjoined to left, with regular fenestration. Further 2-storey, 4-bay wing advanced to left; window to right at 1st floor to S; regular fenestration to w, with cat-slide dormerheads to windows at 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: piended stair block adjoined at centre, with later additions. 2-storey wings adjoined to left and right, with numerous openings. Former painted rubble coach house to N, now converted to a dwelling; adjoined to wing to W by link wall with segmental archway into courtyard; sweeping eaves.

Mainly small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; some replacement glazing. Piended dormer window above outer bays to S pitch. Coped skews. Corniced rendered gablehead stacks to E, W and N; ridge and wallhead stacks, with concave banding, to rear wings. Large grey slates. Octagonal cans.

INTERIOR: keystoned round arch in porch. Apparently contains panelling from hall in Castle of Park (see separate listing) (not seen, 1991).

Statement of Special Interest

Dunragit House was built by the Hay family. Dunragit House became the residence of the Hays in circa 1830, when they left Castle of Park. The panelling from the hall in Castle of Park was removed to Dunragit House. Sir John Dalrymple-Hay sold Dunragit estate in 1875.

Additions and alterations were apparently made by Allan Stevenson and Cassells, 1935/36 (plans at Darley Hay Partnership, Ayr).

References

Bibliography

P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 177-186, Vol II (1877) pp 230-232. S R O RHP 20172 "Plan of the Estate of Dunragit" (1875). G Wilson "List of the Antiquities of Glenluce, Wigtownshire, with descriptive notes" PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND 1898-99, p 171. RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) p 111. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol II (1895) pp 445. C H Dick HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS IN GALLOWAY AND CARRICK (1916) p 292. S R O RHP 21044 "Plan of Dunragit Estate" (1920). J M Rusk HISTORY OF THE PARISH AND ABBEY OF GLEN LUCE (1930) p 92.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNRAGIT HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 00:57