Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Old Luce
NX 18452 58696
218452, 558696


Circa 1775; remodelled 1830. 2-storey, 3-bay former manse. Lightly painted rubble. Raised ashlar margins. Granite quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: recessed doorcase at centre, with boarded door and plate glass fanlight. Regular fenestration, except modern flat-roofed rendered bay window at ground in bay to right.


N ELEVATION: lower gabled jamb adjoined to right. Stair window at centre; small windows flanking to left to each floor. Window at ground and 1st floors in bay to left. Gabled jamb to right; door to left and window to right to E return, with modern box dormer window above; 2 windows to W return, with small window slapped to outer right; lower half-piended outbuilding adjoined to N, with door to E.

W ELEVATION: 2 windows paired at centre at ground and 1st floors. Small window slapped to left at ground floor. W return of jamb to left. 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Coped skews. Gablehead stacks to E and W, and to jamb to N. Slightly graded grey slates. Octagonal cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS: drystone rubble to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Previously listed as "Former Manse of Glenluce Parish adjacent to Abbey". Abbey House is situated to the north-west of Glenluce Abbey. The Monastery of Glenluce Abbey was secularised in 1602, and the property was acquired for a manse and glebe in 1641. According to the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT in 1839, the manse "was built about sixty-five years ago, and was thoroughly repaired in 1830". The manse was sold in 1963. The bay window was added in circa 1972. Ladyburn Manse, Glenluce (see separate listing), the former Free Church Manse, is now the manse of the parish.




Vol IV (1845) Wigton, p 74. S R O RHP 7905 "Old Luce Manse, Plan of New Drains", Richard Park (1897). COMMEMORATIVE BROCHURE AND ORDER OF SERVICE FOR THE REDEDICATION OF OLD LUCE CHURCH (1968).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABBEY HOUSE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 06:05