There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Date Removed: 02/12/2015
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Portpatrick
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 379 53391
- Coordinates: 200379, 553391
Early 16th century, with mid-16th century addition. L-plan castle. cliff-edge promontory site; NE landward elevation cut off by moat; causeway gives access. Rubble with pinnings.
Early 16th century L-plan towerhouse to SE; turrets to E corners. Higher advanced SW section; extruded corner; 3 empty frames for armorial panels. Ground floor: entrance at SW extruded corner; short tunnel-vaulted passage. To E, another vaulted passage W of main block; 2 narrow vaulted cellars to SW; broad scale-and platt stair to 1st floor. 2 larger vaulted stores to SE main block; N store windowless; turnpike stair to SE corner of S store (probably a wine cellar). 1st floor dominated by main hall; fireplace to N of W wall. 2 rooms to 2nd floor; off-centred fireplaces to gables. 1 room to each upper floor of advanced SW section.
Mid-16th rectangular-plan wing to N. E elevation wall formed earlier defensive wall. SE causeway entrance forms single opening at E ground floor. 2 windowless vaulted stores entered from courtyard (N store via a passage). 1 room to upper floor; off-centre fireplace to S. Large openings at 1st floor to E, N and W.
Statement of Special Interest
SCHEDULED MONUMENT. Belonged to the Adairs of Kinhilt. The narrow N wing was probably built as part of the additions said to have been made by Hugh, 1st Viscount Montgomery of the Great Ardes (who had acquired Dunskey in 1620).
D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND VOL III (1887-92), pp507-511; RCAHMS INVENTORY FOR COUNTY OF WIGTOWN (1912), pp138-141; Photograph (Stranraer Library/Gwa4, circa 1913; J Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), pp293-294; J D Mackenzie and R R Cunningham OLD PORTPATRICK (1997), p27.