Early 19th century, 2-storey and asymmetrical 5-bay, roughly
rectangular plan former harbour warehouse building (now used as sailing club
premises, 2016). In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings
and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act1997 the following are excluded from the
listing: lean-to extension to rear of the sailing club and the linked store to the
Painted coursed whinstone rubble, with fixed 8-pane replacement timber casement
windows with top hopper openings. To the left of centre are loading door openings to
the ground and 1st floor (with modern timber balcony). Additional door to far right.
Slate roof (re-slated in 1994), piended to right and gabled to left, with straight skews
The interior, seen in 2015, has been altered to provide accommodation facilities for
members of the local sailing club.
Statement of Special Interest
In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation
Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: lean-to
extension to rear of the sailing club and the linked store to the southwest.
The former warehouse building that is currently in use as the Wigtown Bay Sailing
Club contributes to our understanding of maritime and industrial history in Dumfries
and Galloway. In plan-form and profile the building is largely unaltered externally
since the early 19th century, and appears largely as it was first constructed, forming
an important association with the harbour front at the Isle of Whithorn.
It forms part of a group of historic buildings which are among
the earliest surviving in the village and is prominently sited in a row, predominantly
dating to the 19th century, on the main thoroughfare through the village to the
harbour, with its main elevation orientated northwest to face the harbour with open
views to the sea.
The development of the harbour at the Isle of Whithorn dates from 16th century
onwards, established for trade and the passage of pilgrims on their route to St
Ninian's Church at Whithorn. The L-plan harbour was modified substantially in
1790 and in around 1900 with the addition of a boat building yard. The range of
warehouses in the village along Harbour Row predominantly date from the
improvements of the late 18th and early 19th century and would have been used for
the short-term storage of incoming and outgoing goods or used as rent
houses. The peak period of shipping to the Isle of Whithorn was in the mid-19th
century with steam passenger and cargo vessel traffic.
Maritime trading was important to Scotland's economy from an early date and
warehouse buildings to store goods are typically found set close to harbours and
large working docks, with the majority of the warehouses being one or
2-storey sheds used as temporary storage for goods on their way to or from the
Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as
'Isle of Whithorn, Harbour Row, Harbour House, The Wigtown Bay Sailing Club'.