Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ARDWELL, ARDWELL MAINSLB16735

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/12/1979
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Stoneykirk
NGR
NX 10276 45770
Coordinates
210276, 545770

Description

Earlier 19th century. Predominantly single storey, irregular-plan farm with open courtyard to S and main farmhouse to E. Whinstone.

FARMHOUSE TO E: single storey with attic, rectangular-plan farmhouse. E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced, square-plan pilastered and pedimented entrance porch; 2-leaf timber door; 3-light letterbox fanlight; flanking single windows at ground and at re-entrant angles; single windows above break eaves to form gables. 4-light window at ground to gabled bay to outer right; bipartite window above; single window at ground to re-entrant angle. W (REAR) ELEVATION: 8-bay. Timber door in penultimate bay to right; single window to outer right; 3 single windows to centre; timber door to left; single window to penultimate bay to left; small opening to outer left.

COURTYARD ROW TO S, N ELEVATION: 7-bay, single storey rectangular-plan block with advanced gabled outer bays. 3 central segmental-arched openings (2 to right infilled), timber doors; single windows and single timber doors flanking. 2 single windows at ground; single pointed arch window to gablehead. W (SIDE) ELEVATION: timber door to left; single window to right. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 single windows.

INNER COURTYARD, E ELEVATION: 9-bay. Timber door with fanlight to left, 2 single windows to outer left, 6 single windows to right (window to outer right bipartite). N ELEVATION: 6-bay. 3 near central segmental-arched openings, timber doors, single window to outer right; passage to courtyard rear to left, modern window to outer left. W ELEVATION: 9-bay. Pattern of 2 single windows and single timber door working from left to right. Piended clock tower to roof at outer right; timber boarded surround. OUTER COURTYARD, W ELEVATION: 8-bay. Timber door to outer left, 2 single windows to right, timber door, 3 single windows to right (infill), single door to outer right. S ELEVATION: passage to courtyard rear to right; single window to penultimate bay to right; 4 single windows to left; single door to left; lean-to to outer left. E ELEVATION: 3 single windows to left, timber door to penultimate bay to right, single window to outer right. N (REAR) ELEVATION: 12-bay. Opening to left, flanking single windows; 4 openings at centre (segmental arches to 2 to left, penultimate opening to left infilled, penultimate bay to right leads to inner courtyard); 4 single windows to right, timber door to outer right. Additional ranges to N.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate roof; rooflights; stone skews.

INTERIOR: timber stalls; whitewashed walls; cobbled floors.

Statement of Special Interest

Clock-cupola by R R Child, 1884. It was brought to the steading from Southwick House. Sir Mark Stewart of Southwick, had married the heiress of the MacTaggarts of Ardwell in 1866.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1850 (evident); FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1 (1882), p69; J Gifford DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1996), p108.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDWELL, ARDWELL MAINS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 04:44