Mid 19th century (possibly David Bryce, 1860) incorporating earlier fabric (probably 1780); James Gillespie and Scott motor house probably added 1913; converted to Craft Centre 1972. 2 storey, 10 bay, classical stable court with Gardener?s Cottage and converted bothy. Droved sandstone ashlar with raised quoins. Base and eaves courses, eaves cornice to Gardener?s Cottage and Ardyne. Round headed openings, keystone and voussoirs.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: wide, advanced pend entrance at centre with moulded and keystoned arch on flanking squat, corniced pilasters with pal stones at inner angles; pediment above with glazed oculus in tympanum. 3 windows at ground with 3 small windows above to right and left of centre, voussoired arch (part blocked with 2 small windows) to outer right with glazed oculus over, window in penultimate bay to left and window above with flat dormerhead breaking eaves, bay to outer left with voussoired arch (part blocked with 1 window) and glazed oculus above.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical fenestration including 4 flat dormerheaded windows breaking eaves to right and door off centre right. Return to left with window at 1st floor right and shouldered, centre wallhead stack.
SW (GARDNER?S COTTAGE) ELEVATION: symmetrical.
Timber canopied porch with cast iron columns and panelled timber door with narrow, small pane fanlight at centre; 2 part window to right of centre and 3 part window to left at ground; 3 2 part windows to 1st floor. Boundary wall with pedestrian door adjoining to outer right. Return to right with lean to extension at ground, 2 part window above and small glazed oculus in gablehead.
SE ELEVATION: lower, with gambrel roof to left. Slightly recessed, infill(?) bay to right with 2 part window in timber gablehead, boundary wall abutting immediately to left; asymmetrical fenestration beyond to left (concealed behind SW boundary of walled garden).
COURTYARD: pend arch to NW range flanked by variety of openings including former hayloft, balcony and windows with pedimented dormerheads. Bowed stair towers in re entrant angles to left and right.
SE RANGE: lower, free standing motor house. Variety of elements including altered double garage doors and windows. NE RANGE: extending beyond courtyard to E. Door to left at ground, 4 windows to right and further door beyond; adjoining outer right 3 bay house (?Ardyne?) with flight of railed steps to panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight at centre in pilastered and corniced doorcase, flanking windows. 8 bay 1st floor with dormerheaded windows breaking eaves, some altered, some pedimented, 2 flat roofed. Outer left window with stone bracketed balcony and decorative cast iron railings.
SW RANGE: rear of Gardner?s Cottage. 2 windows to each floor.
Variety of small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows, some lying pane: decorative astragals to occuli (NE). Gardner?s Cottage with plate glass glazing in top opening, timber windows to SW: and plate glass glazing in modern timber windows to some 1st floor bays. Graded grey and purple slates. Coped ashlar stacks (some shouldered) with some cans; cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers. Stone sets to courtyard and pend.
INTERIOR: Gardner?s Cottage: timber stair, shutters and inward opening casement windows.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary walls.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.