Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

WINDYGATES, CAMERON HOSPITAL, HAIG HOUSE WITH OUTBUILDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGSLB16684

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Markinch
NGR
NT 34499 99941
Coordinates
334499, 699941

Description

David Bryce, 1849; converted to administration block for Infectious Diseases Hospital, 1911. 2 storey and single storey Scottish 17th century gabled house on ground falling to NW with distinctive stacks. Stugged ashlar with squared and snecked rubble, ashlar dressings. Deep, chamfered base course, dividing course and eaves cornice. Corbels, keystone, moulded crowsteps, hoodmould, roll moulded and chamfered arrises, stone mullions.

NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 bay. Steps with dwarf wall lead to 2 leaf panelled timber door to left of centre in roll moulded, keystoned doorcase with hoodmould below corniced, moulded panel with galleon in swagged roundel dated 1911 and worded ?INFECTIOUS DISEASES HOSPITAL?; stepped corbel at 1st floor flanking mutuled window and glazed arrow slit in finialled gablehead, flanked by dominant square, grouped stacks. Broad, gabled bay to left with window to both floors. Lower centre bay with window and adjacent small light to right to both floors, that at 1st floor with finialled, pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves. Penultimate bay to right with window to both floors and arrow slit in gablehead; advanced, massive 4 stage, square stack to left; 1st stage corbelled, remaining stages coped and battered (2nd stage to S only). Outer right bay with slightly advanced, gabled porch to left with segmental headed opening and open return to left, that to right adjoining projecting, low, pitch roofed extension with blocked opening: blind gablehead above with gablehead stack.

SE ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with window at both floors, that to lst floor with finialled, pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves; broad bay to left with canted window and blocking course below M gable with 2 windows and corbelled 3 stage stack piercing crowsteps to right. (Modern steel fire escape to left).

SW ELEVATION: low, modern stone porch with ramp at centre abutting full height tripartite window to right at ground, 2 windows above, each with finialled, pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves; bay to outer right with canted window at ground corbelling out to 1st floor with window and arrow slit in gablehead. Recessed face to left of centre with window to right at ground and to 1st floor finialled and pedimented as above, broad gable to left with window to both floors; low, flat roofed slightly recessed extension with window to outer left.

NW ELEVATION: large, flat roofed garage to left concealing ground floor, 2 windows over, that to left with pedimented dormerhead breaking eaves. Lower, gabled projection to right with dominant stack. Outbuilding (see below) adjoining link section to left.

Small pane glazing patterns throughout except to canted windows with plate glass glazing, all in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates, large slates to right on NE elevation. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal and moulded cans; ashlar coped skews and moulded skewputts. Cast iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: minor alterations for use as nurses? residence, particularly to inner hall. Square headed alcoves flanking main entrance, part glazed screen door to inner hall and staircase with decorative cast iron balusters and timber handrail, carved heraldic shield with motto ?TYDE WHAT MAY?, lantern above stair well. Principal rooms to ground floor, that to SE with bracketed, black marble fireplace, decorative cornice, shutters and picture rail; that to SW with white marble fireplace and cast iron inset, decorative cornice. Further staircase also with decorative cast iron balusters and timber handrail.

OUTBUILDINGS: crowstepped, squared and dressed rubble linked outbuilding to NE on ground falling to NW. Timber door with fanlight in gable to SE: 3 windows with pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves to NE, over basement with 2 leaf timber door to right, 2 blocked openings to left: window at ground and basement to NW.

Statement of Special Interest

Known also as Cameron House (1st OS) and Cameron Bridge House. Built by the Haig family, owners of nearby Cameron Bridge Distillery, and home of Field Marshal Earl Haig, born 1861. Retained as administrative premises when the first 4 wards of Cameron Hospital were built, but replaced in 1940 by a new administration building.

References

Bibliography

1st OS map, 1854. Gifford FIFE (1992), p427. Laver THE HOUSE OF HAIG (1958).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WINDYGATES, CAMERON HOSPITAL, HAIG HOUSE WITH OUTBUILDING BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 03:30