Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SILVERBURN HOUSE ESTATE, OFFICES INCLUDING GATEPIERSLB16679

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
07/06/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Scoonie
NGR
NO 39381 1948
Coordinates
339381, 701948

Description

Mid 19th century. Single and 2-storey, approximate T-plan, classically-detailed small industrial range converted to agricultural use. Brick with large ashlar quoins and original corrugated-iron roofs. Partial band course. Round-headed openings and segmental recessed arches; lunette windows. Boarded timber doors.

N ELEVATION: 2-storey, 6-bay range to left and single storey, 12-bay range to right. Taller range with blind arched arcade to ground, full-width doors to bays 2, 3 and 6, pedestrian door to bay 1 and multi-pane lunette windows to bays 1, 2, 4 and 5. 6 regularly disposed round-headed windows to 1st floor, that to outer left (former loft door) larger. Blind arched arcade to single storey range with 6 doors and 5 windows asymmetrically disposed, and bay to outer right blank.

S ELEVATION: 3 parallel, piend-roofed, lower ranges projecting off-centre right with 6 recessed arches, water pump to outer left and almost full-width later flat-roofed timber aviary to right. 6 arched recesses on return to left with full-width sliding doors to bays 1 and 3, and windows to bays 4 and 5; return to right corrugated iron with 2 large windows. Flanking recessed faces also with blind arched arcade and variety of openings.

E ELEVATION: 2-bay blind arched arcade to ground right, 2 small windows above and blinded oculus in gablehead. Smaller arched recess with door to outer left.

W ELEVATION: 2-bay arched arcade, each with window.

Small-pane glazing patterns (some with lying panes) in timber casement windows. Corrugated-iron roofs, ashlar skews where gabled. Brick ridge stacks.

GATEPIERS: pyramidally-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Group with Silverburn House Estate Cottages. David Russell leased Silverburn from the Durie Estate sometime before 1855, and Arthur Russell purchased the land in 1866. He rebuilt Silverburn House and opened a flax mill. In 1973 Major Russell gifted the Silverburn Estate to Leven Town Council and the National Trust for Scotland. The offices (mill buildings) were opened as a 'mini farm' in 1985.

References

Bibliography

1st OS Map (1855). Levenmouth Environmental Society LEVEN AND SILVERBURN WALKABOUT (1988), p17. FIFE FREE PRESS (9.9.87).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SILVERBURN HOUSE ESTATE, OFFICES INCLUDING GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 17:51