Dated 1788, with later 18th and 19th century additions
and alterations. Pinned rubble, polished ashlar
dressings. Symmetrical 3-storey and attic, 5-bay south
facing front with 2-storey, wide single bay wings at
east and west gables slightly set back from main block
and projecting at rear. Centre door with engaged column
and corniced doorpiece, masked by later porte cochere
with ashlar balustrade. 2 later 19th century canted
dormers. Flanking wings have Venetian windows in ground
and 1st floors and piended platform roofs. Projecting
circular rear stairwell rising 1 storey above wallhead
to terminate in circa 1865 J-shaped flat roof with
ashlar balustrade and terminal ball finials; also
weather-vane. Stairwell link to end wings by later
2-storey flat roofed wings.
Mainly 2-pane glazing; corniced end stacks slate roofs.
Interior; semi-circular stair with cast-iron balustrade
with acanthus decoration. 1st floor drawing room with
circa 1800 simple plaster cornice and marble chimney
piece. Long 1st floor corridor with engaged pilasters
linked by ribbed, round-headed ceiling. Garden gate
piers and railings; pair later 19th century decorative
trellis cast-iron gate piers with decorative pyramidal
finials each terminating with hand clasping bunch of
arrows. Decorative cast-iron pedestrian gate with
spearhead detailing. Flanking low coped rubble walls
with matching spearhead cast-iron railings.
Statement of Special Interest
Lethen belonged to the Falconer family from 1295, passed
Grant of Freuchy in 1600 and sold to Alexander Brodie
1st of Lethen, 2nd son of Brodie of Brodie Castle (Moray) in
1634. Lethen is still in the ownership of the Brodies of Lethen.
Earlier dwelling stood on or near site of present house.
Dated 1788 and initialled AB for Miss Anne Brodie
(1755-1805) who inherited Lethen from her brother John in
1773 and subsequently built present house and former
West wing (1790) and east wing (1865) demolished circa 1970.
Garden gate and railings in front of south elevation