House; dated 1792. Single storey and attic, unusual
"cottage" dwelling with 5-bay north facing facade and
U-plan garden court to south. All pinned Kinsteary pink
granite rubble with contrasting tooled ashlar sandstone
dressings. Projecting gabled centre bay with lunette,
apex wrought-iron dated weather vane (pointers missing)
and side entrance. Centre ground floor Venetian window;
similar windows in flanking recessed bays; tripartites
in further recessed outer bays; 2 small piended dormers;
intersecting and multi-pane glazing.
South facing U-plan garden court enclosed east and west
by domestic and office ranges and closed on south side
by low wall with cast-iron railings. North and east
elevations of inner court linked by continuous glazed
lean-to extensions. Corniced ridge and wallhead stacks;
piended slate roof.
Interior; original 6-panelled doors and simple coved
Walled garden; large walled garden, rubble walls with
ashlar copes; brick lined on south and west elevations.
Statement of Special Interest
Weathervane initialled GC.
Kinsteary lands belonged to Sutherlands of Kingsteary;
sold in later 19th century to Cosmo Gordon of Cluny (ie) (Aberdeenshire), from whom it passed to his brother,
Charles Gordon of Braid (Edinburgh who had property and
trade in Tobago, West Indies
Datestone of 1698 initialled IS (James?) Sutherland at
House gives impression that it was converted from former
(later 19th century) stables.