Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94668 55163
394668, 855163


John Smith, 1816. Mixed Tudor and Classical, rectangular-plan Town-House with tower in style of 16th century Scottish Tolbooth. Finely-wrought granite ashlar. Gabled, 2-storey main block: 4 windows set in round arched arcade at ground floor; 3 hood-moulded windows above; castellated parapet. 4-stage tower to E: segmental-headed openings and broad-chamfered embrasures to ground floor, S and E elevations; hood-moulds with decorative carved stone faces; clock at 3rd stage with stepped hood-moulding; corbelled and crenellated parapet with corbelled angle-turrets. Stone spire: octagonal base with pointed windows and crenellated parapet; further band of crenellation at mid point of steeple. Belfry with bell of 1818 by Thomas Mears. Multi-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows.

Statement of Special Interest

The Town-House is an excellent example of an early 19th century castellated Town House, prominently located at the centre of the 18th century planned village of Strichen. Designed by renowned Aberdeen architect, John Smith, the building confidently mixes stylistic references with the tower inspired by a 16th century Scots Tolbooth and the hall Classical with Tudor detailing. A painting in the Strichen Public Library (Anderson and Woodman Institute - see separate listing) shows that the ground floor arcade was originally open and provided a covered market. The changes were probably made around 1875 when the ground floor was fitted out for use as a female school. The carved stone hood-mould heads decorating the tower may be of 13th century origin, possibly dressing the earlier Kirk of St Mary's, Rattray.

The planned village itself was founded by Lord Strichen in 1764 'to promote the arts and manufactures of this country and for the accommodation of tradesman of all denominations, manufacturers and other industrious people to settle within the same'. The houses were to be of uniform frontage 15 yards long the whole of which had to be built upon. This stipulation provided a longer house than was generally desired and led to the adoption of the 'big end-small end' house which predominates among the older houses in Strichen. The town house was built for the widow of the Lord's grandson at a cost of 2000 pounds.



First Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1864-71); Buchan Field Club Vol.II p69; New Statistical Account Vol.12 p692; Third Statistical Account p364; The Proceedings of the Scottish Antiquities Society, Vol.XCI, p.106. J B Pratt, Buchan (1901) p132; C McKean, Banff and Buchan: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1990) p99. RCAHMS, Tollbooths and Town-Houses: Civic Architecture in Scotland to 1833 (1996) p194-5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TOWN HOUSE HIGH STREET AND BRIDGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:08