Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

HADDO HOUSELB16470

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Methlick
NGR
NJ 86853 34753
Coordinates
386853, 834753

Description

Originally: designed by William Adam carried out with detail alterations and sculpture by John Baxter, 1731-6.

Centre block. 77' square 3-storey ashlar granite with quoin angles: 7-window facades E & W., astylar, that on W. has centre 3 slightly advanced and pedimented with urns, piend roof with parapet. 24' radius quadrants to 2-storey quoined rubble-built wings, 5-window to front and court. 1st floor of wings heightened 1780; 1st floor of quadrants probably of same date (evidence of having been heightened twice).

Internal alterations (including replacement of staircase from 1st to 2nd floor) and E. external stairs Archibald Simpson 1822. Kitchen court with entrance archway and cupola alterations to wings, J. & W. Smith 1843. Large aisleless early decorated chapel with wooden barrel roof, vaulted ante-chapel and stair to 1st floor of N. wing G.E. Street 1876-81.

Porch and colonnade with red granite R-doric columns on W. elevation (replacing original curved stairs to 1st) on W. elevation, bay windows N. & S. centres of main block, new internal staircase from ground to 1st and general replanning of main floor, renewal of chimneys, rebuilding of kitchen court arch (retaining cupola) and rebuilding of S. side of kitchen court as nursery wing (demolished after fire damage 1930) C. E. Wardrop of Wardrop and Reid 1879-81 with fine neo-Adam interior work by Wright and Mansfield of London.

Of the Adam-Baxter interior work the old 1st floor centre W. entrance hall survives with addition of 1845 bust of Queen Victoria by Baron Marochetti, and of Simpson's the staircase.

Statement of Special Interest

Note:- Hussey does not seem to be right in thinking that the house was built with parapets. They do not appear to the engraving in the General View of Aberdeenshire (1811) nor in the estate plan 1815. At these dates a central cupola is also shown: the quadrants had been raised to 2-storey but not to their present height.

The 1815 plan also shows W. forecourt gates (see item 20). The parapets appear in a photograph of 1860 by which date the Quadrants had been raised to their present height; and the original W. stairs had been rebuilt with 3 arches instead of the original 2 windows and centre door. These alterations were probably Simpson the Smith work at Haddo is mentioned in his obituary and also in the A.P.S.D. but which Haddo is not specified.

Haddo (Forgue) was also recast c. 1835. However the drawings for the kitchen court and cupola (which Hussey thought c. 1780) appear to be Smith draughtsmanship and calligraphy.

The laundry and several of the lodges are also suggestive of their hand.

The chapel is affiliated to the Scottish Episcopal Church.

References

Bibliography

N.S.A. v. 12 p 967 (given as by John Baxter) Fleming, Adam & his Circle p 56-7.

A.P.S.D.

Christopher Hussey in Country Life Aug 18/25 1966; Forman, Scottish Country Houses and Castles p 134;

Balfour Life of 4th Earl of Aberdeen; E. B. Elliott, Memoir of Lord Haddo;

G. M. Fraser, in Archibald Simpson and his Times (Notes and Queries 1918) refers to drawings dated 1822 for alterations at Haddo being in his office at his death.

Reminiscenses of Lord and Lady Aberdeen. Vitruvius Scoticus, plans not quite as carried out, string course, sculpture, and octagon pediment window. Plans at Haddo House:- Drawings for stairs unsigned, undated, style of Simpson's office with diluted inks and characteristic lettering.

Drawings for Kitchen Court and Cupola (unsigned, undated) and alterations to a wing (unsigned dated 1843) draughtsmanship and calligraphy typical of the Smith Office.

Drawings by G. E. Street for chapel (with large size details).

Drawings by Wardrop and Reid for 1879-81 alterations.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HADDO HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 04:33