Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Auldearn Parish Church, burial ground and sundial, excluding scheduled monument SM5418, AuldearnLB1647

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/1971
Last Date Amended
05/10/2017
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Auldearn
NGR
NH 91941 55561
Coordinates
291941, 855561

Description

Parish Church dated 1757 replacing medieval church, part of which remains to east.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM5418 (Auldearn, Old parish church).

Alterations by John Robertson of Inverness, 1898. Harled with ashlar margins and dressings. Symmetrical 8-bay south elevation with round-headed keystoned entrances in outer bays; similarly detailed windows, large in bays 3 and 6, small in remaining bays; impost blocks in windows and doors. Datestone in centre; 1650 mural monument. 4 large (1898) windows in north elevation with same detailing as in south elevation; all windows with simple circle tracery of 1898. Round-headed gallery window in east and west gables; bellcote for 2 bells at west gable apex; slate roof.

Interior; re-cast and re-furbished in 1898 in Gothic style. Panelled bowed pulpit and panelled reredos at southwest enclosed by low screen; serpentine pannelled gallery front at east; cusped tracery to ceiling braces.

Rubble walled burial ground. Pair of late 19th century tooled ashlar square gatepiers with Gothic detailing to west and pair of decorative cast iron carriage gates. Various 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones.

Circular ashlar sundial on squat circular rubble plinth standing near southwest entrance of church.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of worship in use as such. 1898 alterations and renovation cost about £800, which was raised by a bazaar.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: scheduled monument SM5418 (Auldearn, Old parish church).

Listed building record and statutory address updated in 2017. Previously listed as 'Auldearn Parish Church, Remains of Former Medieval Church, Burial Ground and Sundial.'

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 180288 & 110816

Maps

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1869, Published 1871), Nairnshire Sheet II. 6 Inches to the Mile Map. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Bain, G. (1898) History Of The Parish Of Auldearn. Nairn: Nairnshire Telegraph Office. p. 50.

Dunbar, J. (1966) The Historic Architecture Of Scotland. London: B.T.Batsford. pp.164, 169.

Hay, G. (1957) The Architecture Of The Scottish Post Reformation Churches. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp.79. 170.

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Auldearn, County of Nairn, Vol. 13. p.16.

Statistical Account (1791-99) Auldearn, County of Nairn, Vol.19. p.625.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Auldearn Parish Church, burial ground and sundial, excluding scheduled monument SM5418, Auldearn

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 03:20