William Robertson, circa 1826; Leslie F Hunter, deconstructed and re-sited circa 1995. Single storey and basement octagonal-plan former tollhouse, to E side of Deveron Bridge. Red sandstone ashlar, rubble to basement. Base course; timber eaves course; raised margins to angles. 2-leaf timber door with geometric fanlight to SW side, set within curved recessed porch with tapered Doric timber columns. Single window to each side (that to NE now blocked).
6-pane glazing in timber casement window. Octagonal roof with overhanging eaves, grey slates. Ashlar and coped chimney to centre with two clay cans of different size.
Statement of Special Interest
A-group consisting of Deveron Bridge and Old Tollhouse.
The Old Tollhouse is a fine and rare example of an early 19th century tollhouse built in octagonal plan. The building remains largely unaltered, except for its re-siting. The Old Tollhouse and Deveron Bridge (see separate listing) creates a fine formal approach to Turriff from the NW.
The bridge provided an important communication route to the NE, in particularly Banff. The bridge cost in excess of £2,500 and was paid for by subscriptions and a loan, the interest of which as well as future repairs was covered by the tolls.
The Old Tollhouse is recorded on 3rd edition Ordnance Survey map (1928) as Knockiehill Lodge.
Due to the re-alignment of the B9025 the tollhouse was carefully deconstructed and rebuilt 8 metres to the NW from its original site, by the North East Scotland Preservation Trust to plans prepared by Leslie F Hunter Architects. The significant original axial relationship between the bridge and the tollhouse was maintained. The tollhouse is now a private residential property.
William Robertson established his own architectural practice in Elgin around 1823 and was a leading architect in Moray and north Aberdeenshire from the early 1820s until his death in 1841. His work was wide ranging including churches, public buildings and domestic architecture including country houses such as Aberlour (see separate listing). He also designed the classical tollhouse at Boat of Brig (see separate listing).
Statutory address changed in 2012. Formerly listed as "Old Tollhouse, Turriff, Angling Association Shelter (Knockiemill Lodge)".