Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

Adams Cottage excluding single storey outbuilding to rear, A937, MarykirkLB16310

Status: Designated

Documents

Where documents include maps, the use of this data is subject to terms and conditions (https://portal.historicenvironment.scot/termsandconditions).

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/06/1972
Last Date Amended
10/03/2016
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Marykirk
NGR
NO 68586 65726
Coordinates
368586, 765726

Description

Adams Cottage is an early 19th century, 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular plan house on the main road through the village of Marykirk. In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the single storey outbuilding to the rear (east).

The entrance door, which is to the left of the centre, has a moulded doorpiece with three masonic symbols to the lintel. There is a central nepus gable (wallhead gable with chimneystack). The building is harled with painted margins. The openings to the rear elevation are irregular. The windows are 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case frames. There is a pitched roof with grey slates and straight skews with moulded skewputts. The end and central chimney stacks have been replaced in brick. The central stack has polychromatic brickwork.

The interior, seen in 2015, has been altered. There are some panelled windows shutters and panelled timber doors.

Statement of Special Interest

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following is excluded from the listing: the single storey outbuilding to the rear (east).

Adams Cottage is as a good survival of a traditionally constructed, early 19th century domestic building, with a distinctly Scottish street frontage because of the nepus gable (a Scots term for a wallhead gable and chimneystack also known as a tympany gable). The classically proportioned street elevation is largely unaltered and the moulded doorpiece and gable are good stonework details that add grandeur and interest to the building and are suggestive of a house of some status. Located in a central position within the village and of the main road this property contributes to the historic architectural streetscape of Marykirk.

The Old Statistical Account of 1791-99 states that the population of the village of Marykirk at this time was 208 and there were 49 dwelling house. It describes the streets as "narrow and irregular". Although it notes that a few houses have been built recently, these houses "do not appear to add to the regularity of the place". Adams Cottage is part of row of similarly dated buildings and the regularity of this row suggests that these buildings were constructed after this account.

The row of buildings which includes Adams cottage is not shown on the Thomson map of 1822, but is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1863 and would likely have been constructed between these dates. It is also likely based on stylistic evidence that the architecture of Adams cottage, with evenly spaced windows and first floor windows set close to the eaves, dates to around the first half of the 19th century and probably before 1840.

In the 18th and 19th centuries Marykirk was an agricultural parish, with much of the population employed in farming and its associated industries, including saw mills, a flax spinning mill and weaving although the latter was largely confined to the village of Luthermuir. The masonic symbols to the door lintel suggest that Adams Cottage may have been built by or first occupied by a mason.

Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'Adams Building (J Gourlay) Marykirk Village'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 35909.

Old Statistical Account (1791-99) Marykirk, County of Kincardine. Volume 18. p.643.

Garden, W. (surveyed 1774, published 1797) A Map of Kincardineshire. London: A. Arrowsmith.

Thomson, J. and Johnson, W. (1822) Kincardine Shire. Edinburgh: J. Thomson & Co.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1863, published 1868) Kincardine Sheet XXVI.8 (with inset XXVI.7) (Marykirk). 1st Edition. 25 inches to 1 mile. London: Ordnance Survey.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Adams Cottage excluding single storey outbuilding to rear, A937, Marykirk

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2018 20:47