Possibly John Paterson, architect, Edinburgh, 1800-01.
2-storey garden pavillion/tea house built to abut walled
garden, the garden wall continuous with S elevation of house,
against the ground floor of which was a former glazed vinery/conservatory, and into which the house opened.
Substantial later lean-to 2-storey rear addition; later
single storey lean-to wings flank house.
House is (Banffshire) slate hung at 1st floor level replaced
on S front by painted (?metal) material giving impression of tile-hanging. Harled and rendered additions and alterations.
Present entrance in re-entrant angle at rear. Bowed French
window forms centre entrance to 3-bay S garden front with
flanking windows, one half blocked. 1st floor lit by wide
centre bowed window with blind outer lights, aprons, fluted
jambs and frieze with lozenge ornament, Venetian window
lights W 1st floor elevation, 2 round-headed windows light E.
Multi-pane glazing. Mutule cornice encircles building which
has rear centre wallhead stack and flat roof.
INTERIOR: floor plan of original house is of single circular
chamber within cube on both floors, the upper floor
approached by curved cantilevered ataircase at E with slender
balusters and carved decoration to outer face of stairs.
Small rectangular rooms open off main centre chambers at
ground and 1st floor level. Circular rooms have beaded
panelled window shutters, panelled dados and doors, carved
wooden chimneypieces with fluted engaged columns each side,
decorative ceiling cornices. Carved trellis-like
ornamentation decorates curved wall of small 1st floor room
Statement of Special Interest
Estate plan of 1808 reveals Lakeside House fronted by narrow
rectangular building, presumably the conservatory, and by
un-walled garden. Accounts survive for trellis and other wall
papers from London for 'room behind conservatory', 1801.
Upgraded: B to A, 24.3.88.