1811. 2-storey, wide 3-bay house with later projecting gabled
bay at rear. The house is flanked on both sides by the N wall
of the walled garden, into which the S elevation projects
slightly. Brick frontage, harled flanks at rear.
Symmetrical S elevation with wide centre projecting canted
bay with centre entrance and small windows in flanking
facets; wider ground floor windows in outer bays; all 1st
floor windows segmental-headed and close under eaves; outer
windows are 3-light, the remainder of 2 lights, divided by
thick moulded wooden mullions, and with multi-pane glazing.
Pair coped ridge stacks; piended slate roof raised over 1st
REAR: slightly projecting rear centre bays, now fronted by
later wing with entrance in re-entrant angle.
Statement of Special Interest
The raised 'eyebrows' of the front roofline and the
segmental-headed 1st floor windows are reminiscent of Sussex
traditional building. This stylisticc influence may have
come from the Goodwood Estate, Sussex, property of the Dukes
of Richmond and Gordon.
Estate accounts refer to 'new house for gardener', presumably
the head gardener.