Dated 1778, modernised 1947. Substantial, traditionally detailed, early single and 2-storey, 4-bay house converted from shooting lodge, situated adjacent to Bridge of Dye in prominent position overlooking Water of Dye. Large ashlar blocks with squared rubble to rear and single storey wing; long and shortwork margins. Moulded skewputts, that to E dated. Single huge projecting lintel over paired principal elevation doors.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation with paired centre door and dividing stone pier, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor. Set-back, single storey bay at and regular fenestration to 1st floor. Set-back, single storey bay at outer right with small bipartite window.
4- and 12-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with small traditional rooflights. Banded ashlar stacks with thackstanes and some clay cans; ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: 2-storey, L-plan, gabled former bothy of thin lime-harled rubble immediately to W of house, with 2 windows to N comprising 9-pane glazing pattern over 2 larger casement opening panes, boarded timber door and gablehead window to E, and slated roof with broad harled stack and conically-capped ridge ventilator. Slated, squared and coursed rubble, single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan cottage with lean-to outshot immediately to SW. Long, single storey corrugated iron and timber ancillary, and tall semicircular timber range to NW.
Statement of Special Interest
Old Lodge, together with its close knit group of ancillary buildings, presents an interesting survival clearly showing the development of high quality vernacular traditions from the late 18th century through to the early years of the 20th century. The old Lodge has always been part of a larger estate complex, and is situated in an area of steeply wooded ground in a deep valley beside the Bridge of Dye, the second oldest bridge in Deeside (see separate listing), on the Cairn o' Mount road which used to be the main route south from Royal Deeside. The Old Lodge was formerly part of the Glendye Lodge estate which was built in 1779 for the Carnegie family. Sold to the Gladstones of Fasque, it remains part of the Fasque and Glen Dye Estate today (2007). Moving from west to east, the first edition Ordnance Survey Map shows Glendye Lodge, Nursery Bobbin Works, Kennels, the Old Lodge site much as it is today but with a well just south of the house, and an extensive formal garden immediately to the east of the Bridge and close to Bridge of Dye steading with a saw mill. By the time of the 2nd edition map, a lade had been built from just east of Glen Dye Lodge to an L-plan saw mill to the east of the Old Lodge which is simply named 'Nursery'. The formal garden to the east has gone and the steading has a smithy instead of a saw mill.