There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Supplementary Information Updated
- Local Authority
- Planning Authority
- National Park
- NJ 35541 13058
- 335541, 813058
Almost certainly 1690-1730 and earlier, minor alterations 1765; kitchen wing link early 20th century, addition to W later 20th century. Fine 2-storey and attic with evidence of cellar, 5-bay, T-plan laird's house overlooking the Lonach field, and least altered of principal houses of glen. Incorporating early single storey kitchen wing with monumental semicircular fireplace arch, semicircular nepus gable and fine original interior detail. Red granite ashlar with contrasting dark granite cherry caulking, some harl to sides and rear. Stone cills and lintels, keystoned round-headed window to nepus gable, timber mullion.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical entrance elevation to S with centre door and pilastered jambs below armorial panel (see Notes), unusually styled bipartite window above giving way to nepus gable with small roundheaded window and stack, now ball finialled. Kitchen wing projecting at SW.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, except bipartite with 8-pane glazing pattern. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: fine decorative scheme in place incorporating 6-panelled architraved doors, timber shutters, dado rails and dog-leg staircase with timber balusters. Imported timber fire surround with cast iron grate to main house. Monumental voussoired semicircular fireplace arch with 2 salt boxes to kitchen.
Statement of Special Interest
A rare survival in the heart of Bellabeg Village, Bellabeg House is an outstanding early laird's house displaying fine proportions and simplicity of design enhanced by a shaped central gable. The kitchen wing, formerly an independent dwelling, is almost certainly earlier and boasts a fireplace opening seen in just a handful of other dwellings in the area. Stonemason, Alastair Urquhart, has identified the Bellabeg example as probably by the same hand as the semicircular fireplace opening at Glenbuchat Castle. These oversized 'ingle' type fireplace arches are a feature of early dwellings in the area, and comparative examples were found during the 2005 resurvey at Skellater Cottage, Mains of Glencarvie and West Tornahaish in Strathdon Parish, and Badenyon Begg's House and Dulax in Glenbuchat Parish. There is a further striking example, with well cut voussoirs, at an1822 farmhouse in Glenfenzie. Fenton & Walker note that the 'scale [is] more suitable for the great hall of a tower house or castle'. The rooms at Bellabeg are smaller than may be expected; this is thought to be due to a lack of good quality large timbers at the time of building.
Bellabeg, along with Auchernach, Invererenan, Skellater, Candacraig and Newe Castle were all at some time properties of the Forbes clan. Inverernan House was reworked as a near copy of Bellabeg in 1935. The current (2006) owner is only the fourth, and except for a brief period during WWI when Bellabeg served as a hospital for Belgian soldiers, it has always been used as a home. The chevron patterned timber fences facing the main road at the northern boundary are believed to have been erected by Belgian soldiers. The Statistical Account mentions the existence of several fir plantations, and continues 'The late Mr Forbes of Bellabeg was the first in this part of the country who began to plant. His improvements, considering the smallness of his property, are worthy of notice. He possessed only one farm ... and a mill. ... He built a commodious mansion-house and offices'. The account continues with a list of his successful farming improvements. John Forbes, born here in 1707, married Christian Shepherd in 1737. The armorial panel over the front door bears their initials and the motto 'NON TEMERE' (Be Not Afraid). Their son (also John) established a mercantile house in Bombay and restored the family fortune, buying back ancestral estates including Newe from James Forbes of Seaton. John was a great philanthropist, he donated large sums of money to good causes including the Aberdeen Asylum and Infirmary.
Changed from Category B to A in 2006.
Statistical Account (1791-99), Vol 13 p181. New Statistical Account (1840), Vol 12 pp, 542 and 547. I Shepherd RIAS Gordon (1994), p63. Fenton & Walker The Rural Architecture of Scotland (1981), pp201-2. J Geddes Deeside and The Mearns (2001), p147. Information courtesy of owner.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BELLABEG HOUSE
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 19/03/2019 09:46