Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
National Park
NJ 33888 11117
333888, 811117


Probably mid to later 18th century with alterations of 1835 and later. Substantial 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed former coach house with flanking single storey and attic piended ranges linked to long link (altered) forming U-plan around courtyard at rear, and sited immediately W of Candacraig House. Harl with stone margins and quoin strips; snecked rubble with ashlar dressings to rear. Semicircular arched voussoired carriage bays, stone forestair, stone-pedimented and piended dormerheads, vertically-boarded timber doors.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical S elevation to coach house, comprising arcaded 3-arch centre below 2 dormer windows breaking eaves and almost full-height arches to outer bays, all arches blocked. N elevation with stone forestair at left. E range with piend roof to S and hayloft opening to E (outer) elevation. W range (former laundry) with horizontal louvered openings close to eaves.

Small-pane glazing patterns largely in timber sash and case windows, vertical astragals to rear of No 3 at 1st floor; rear of coach house with out-of-character top-opening window. Graded grey slates. Modern rooflights. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews with block and moulded skewputts.

INTERIORS: largely modern but No 3 retains staircase and timberwork, and large ground floor laundry space.

Statement of Special Interest

An outstanding early coach house retaining much of its fine early character. The rather more altered courtyard ranges are nevertheless good examples of their type. All ranges have been converted to dwellings. The Anderson family had a house at Candacraig as early as 1579, and were granted lairdship in 1620. An early picture by S Leith of Banff, thought to date from circa 1760, shows a good sized 3-bay cottage-type dwelling with a slightly lower range at right angles. However, the nearby building is undoubtedly the coach house, with its arcaded centre bays and flanking taller arches, the latter apparently infilled even at that date, but with 3 hayloft openings across the centre. The flanking ranges appear to be much as they are today while the rear range cannot be seen. There are no dormer openings. S Leith is known to have collaborated with Lieut Colonel W Murray, Younger of Ochtertyre on a production of lithographed prints entitled Scenery of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, circa 1810.



New Statistical Account Vol 12 (1840), p546. I Shepherd RIAS Gordon (1994), p68. 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1869-70). NLS, Schenck Directory of the Lithographic Printers of Scotland, p66.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CANDACRAIG HOUSE POLICIES, 1-5 (INCLUSIVE) CANDACRAIG SQUARE (FORMER COACH HOUSE AND OFFICES)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 09:39