D and R MacMillan, Aberdeen, architects. 1900. Gothic;
bullfaced rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Principal S facing
gabled frontage with square tower and spire at SE angle.
Off-centre pointed-headed recessed entrance in base of tower
with shallow gabled detailing to doorpice. Tall, unstaged
tower with clasping buttresses, paired louvred lancets and
clock faces at upper level; corbelled wallhead with
crenellated parapet and angle pinnacles; octagonal facetted
spire with cast-iron weathervane. Large geometric tracery
window in centre in base of SW gallery stair projection.
5-bay buttressed flanks lit by paired hoodmoulded lancets
with lattice-pane glazing.
Slate roof; red tiled ridge; apex finials.
INTERIOR: remodelled and used as shop and museum.
Statement of Special Interest
No longer in ecclesiastical use.
Superseded the earlier Free Church of 1845 in South Street.
Various architects entered designs which were adjudicated by
Andrew Maitland and Sons, architects, Tain, Easter Ross.
Built with money left to the Free Church in Fochabers by
Alexander Pringle, a collector of Inland Revenue and native
of the town.