Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 89708 36781
389708, 836781


Thomas Leper (plan and details related to Tolquhon) circa 1585 or perhaps slightly earlier. Original house 3-storey rubble-built L-plan with entrance and corbelled stair turret in northeast re-entrant angle and semi-circular stair tower centre north front of principal jamb. 3-storey piended northeast wing added circa 1750, 3-storey west extension of main block with bow circa 1780, 2-storey north wing before 1851. Burnt 1900, rebuilt 1902 A.G. Sydney Mitchell (executed James Cobban), east office wing added, top of stair tower replaced with parapet, top of re-entrant turret restored and west extension reduced from 3 storeys to 2. Considerable internal work from 1931, A.H.L. Mackinnon. Restored again 1934-7 J. Fenton Wyness, northeast wing removed, east and north wings remodelled in Scots 16th century idiom, tower parapet removed, crowsteps restored (removed prior to 1851 but traces remained on jamb) courtyard wall rebuilt (traces remained in Cobban's time) with gatehouse (conjectural, form of original unknown) and new wellhead to well in court. Bow of west wing raised to original height as conical roofed tower and southeast turret added to requirements of Lord Catto. Interior: great hall plasterwork Sydney Mitchell, partly modified (particularly in altar recess) by Fenton Wyness, panelling sequoia wood. Withdrawing room plaster work Sydney Mitchell, panelling from houses in Aberdeen. 1596 Gray panel.

Statement of Special Interest

Site originally belonged to family of Schevez. Purchased Alex Gray 1512, present house built by Gilbert Gray; to Arthur Forbes 1753 and then to the Irvines of Drum. Sold 1844 to Lord Aberdeen, 1902 restoration executed for Lord Haddo Sold to James Burr after 1st War, then to Col. Arthur Brooke and in 1931 to Sir Thomas Catto, who became Lord Catto of Cairncatto in 1936.

Listed building record revised slightly in 2017.



New Statistical Account. Volume XII. p. 669.

Giles, J. Castles of Aberdeenshire XXXVI (as at 1851).

Macgibbon, D. and Ross, T. Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland. Volume IV. p. 403 (little information).

Wyness, J F. (1929) The House of Schivas, Aberdeenshire' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. Volume 63. pp. 68-69.

Wyness, J F. (1943) A Buchan tower house-the story of the house of Schivas. p.7.

Aberdeen Daily Journal (15 December 1903 and 9 March, 1920).

Aberdeen Press and Journal (1 January 1936) Peerage for T. Catto. p.7.

Simpson, W.D. (1892-5) A Short History of Tarves. Buchan Field Club. p. 242.

Letter from J. Fenton Wyness 22-07-1969 and photographs in his possession.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOUSE OF SCHIVAS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/03/2023 14:52