Large L-plan mansion with late (1888) S.W. wing comprising:-
Keep c. 1584 perhaps incorporating older work 49' x 46',
L-plan modified by S. projection, originally 3-storey with
battlements and corbelled angle rounds, heads of 2nd floor
windows on E. side elaborately treated with hoods on
sculptured corbels. Vaulted ground floor. Hall at 1st floor
(brought back to original state 1937) large heraldic
emblazoning over fireplace (restored under supervision of
J.M. Dick Peddie 1886) ogee headed aumbry, 17th century door,
painted ceiling. Reconstructed 1719-20 by Alexander Jaffreu
of Kingswells, battlements removed, top addition with
platformed roof containing high library with fine ceiling
of Carolean character on W. and 2 storeys of bedrooms on E.
N.E. wing 16th or 17th century, 60' long, originally
single-storey and attic, altered to 2-storey by Jaffrey.
Internal woodwork early 19th century, oriel bay Dick
Peddie. S. wing 16th or 17th century, 43' long, with
circular S.E. tower, originally single-storey and attic,
rebuilt as 3-storey by Jaffrey, original woodwork at 1st and
2nd floor; ground floor remodelled, new porch, bow window,
2-storey library wing (incorporating old oilette in
N. wall) 1888. Billiard Room contains Monymusk Cross Slab,
9th century; 7' striated granite boulder incised with cross,
step, disc and double ring symbols from Nether Mains.
Office's Alexander Jaffrey 1721, little altered, checked
openings, Harled throughout.
Statement of Special Interest
Believed to have originally been the guard or refuge tower of
the Priory; rebuilt by Wm. Forbes who obtained the estate
from Robert Forbes, the last commendator of Monymusk. Sold
1712 to the Grants who still own it. The area on the E. was
formerly enclosed within a square forecourt, the S. and E.
sides being railed with a round tower S.E. pavilion.
This tower corresponded to that of the S. wing and, with
the gates now at the entrance to the s. drive formed an
impressive approximately symmetrical clair-voyee facade
to the forecourt. Removed by 1848 when Giles's view was made.