A.Marshall Mackenzie, 1890 incorporating Forbes loft of 1634
(from old church). Tall cruciform Gothic church with shallow
canted apse at E gable. Pale squared granite with dark
pinnings (Aberdeen bonding), tooled granite dressings.
Gable entrance porch projects at SW with double-leaf door and
ornate cast-iron hinges. Intersecting Y-traceried windows
light 3-bay nave, N and S aisle windows with simple Y-tracery
in gables; cusped lancets in apse; tall, paired 2-light
windows in W gable. Bellcote at W gable apex capped by
slender miniature spire with clasping slender pinnacles and
cast-iron decorative weathervane; re-hung 1798 bell.
Lattice-pane glazing. Steeply pitched slate roofs.
INTERIOR: simple lofty interior with barrel vaulted timber
roof. S aisle houses profusely carved and dated 1634 Forbes
loft; richly carved front under equally richly carved and
crested canopy with carved cartouche and spiked ball finials
supported by slender Ionic columns; with panelled interior
and cusped and pendant details. Richly carved doorpiece with
flanking screen. S aisle panelled ceiling incorporates
re-used pendants and other carved fragments and panels; raked
PULPIT: simple 1890 wooden pulpit on a pedestal approached by
staircase with turned balusters; facets of pulpit incorporate
re-used 17th century carved wooden panels, one dated 1634,
another initialled MT.
WAR MEMORIAL: carved and inscribed wooden panel in style of
A.Marshall Mackenzie. Cornice supports kneeling angels with
inscribed scroll stretched between them.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Forbes loft built in 1634 (dated) and installed in 1634 S
aisle of 1632 church by Sir Alexander Forbes of Pitsligo
(afterwards Lord Pitsligo) and his wife Jane Keith whose
monograms and crests are carved on loft.
Listed at A for quality of interior fittings.