Thomas Mackenzie, Elgin, architect, dated 1844. Gothic,
rectangular gabled mausoleum with SW entrance front.
Tooled ashlar, harled flanks, polished ashlar dressings.
Shallow flight of steps approach paired pointed-headed
entrances within recessed pointed-headed arch; flanking
nook-shafts and centre trumeau; inscribed quatrefoil
spandrel; angle buttresses with simple pinnacle; apex cross.
3-bay long elevations with centre projecting gabled bay at
NE; hoodmoulded pointed-headed windows light long elevations;
similar at NE gable but with paired lights. Lattice-pane
glazing; steeply pitched local slate roof with saw-tooth
skews and apex finials.
ENCLOSING WALL: coped rubble wall encloses mausoleum and
burial ground; pair square tooled ashlar gate piers in
centre SW, with gablet finials; pair cast-iron gates.
ST MARY'S WELL: set in centre of wall at NE, small drinking
well of earlier date within Gothic pedestal inscribed St
Mary's Well. Remnants of chain but no drinking cup survives.
Statement of Special Interest
Erected by Richard Wharton-Duff in memory of his uncle and
includes memorials to other members of Wharton Duff family.
Inscription as follows; 'Quo primum loco Moravienses
Christiani sacellum Mariae Virginis in honorem psourent
curus ad nostrum usque memoriam non nisi ruinae pervenerunt.
Hoc mausoleum utsub tecto ujus reliiqule sui ipsius svorumque requiescant in pace. Sepulchri memor extruendum curavit
Ricardus Duff de Orton armiger. Anno salut 1844'.
St Mary's an early chapel site with a long history as site
of pilgrimage and cure.