Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HAZELWOODLB15861

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Mortlach
NGR
NJ 31788 44486
Coordinates
331788, 844486

Description

Circa 1830, style of William Robertson. 2-storey house built

against slope, presenting symmetrical single storey E

entrance front as raised ground floor and symmetrical 2-

storey S garden elevation. Harled with extensive polished

sandstone dressings and margins.

Wide 3-bay E front with centre recessed porch with

pedimented and paired pilaster frontispiece. Panelled door

with narrow sidelights; aproned flanking windows, wide

giant angle pilasters; deep base course.

2-storey, wide S garden front with full-height ashlar canted

windows linked at raised ground floor by verandah supported

by slender pilasters.

Later flat roofed projecting single storey library wing

masks W front with barely recessed centre bay. Circa 1960

3-light bow window to W return library gable.

Various additions and alterations at rear.

Horizontal and multi-pane glazing; symmetrical coped ridge

stacks; shallow piended local slate roof with projecting

soffited eaves.

INTERIOR: restrained internal detailing. Top lit entrance

hall.

Intercommunicating sitting and drawing rooms in S side of

raised ground floor. Carved wooden chimneypiece with marble

slips in sitting room; similar (later insertion) in larger

drawing room.

Later wooden chinmeypiece (said to have come from Glasgow)

in library.

Statement of Special Interest

Said to have been property of Leslie's of Kininvie and built

for 2 Leslie sisters.

Library extension appears on 2nd ed OS (1902).

Unusual small henhouse with pigeon loft at rear of house.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HAZELWOOD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 17:36