Joseph Mitchell, 1858. Viaduct comprising steel lattice-
girder (1906, replacing former plate-girder bridge) with
6-span approach at W bank, single span at E bank. Tooled
ashlar, some bull-faced ashlar dressings.
W bank: 3 wide and 3 narrower rusticated and keystoned
arch rings, the wider close to river bank and supported by
bull-faced ashlar cutwaters.
E bank: single arch ring borne on bull-faced cutwaters.
Panelled pilastered end abutments. String courses; ashlar
Approximate span; steel girder bridge; 250'.
Approximate overall span; 635'.
Statement of Special Interest
Viaduct first constructed with plate-girder span which was
replaced in 1906 with present bridge. Plaque (1905) records
Messrs Head Wrightson of Thornaby-on-Tees as contractors,
William Roberts, Engineer and William Whitelaw, Chairman,
Highland Railway. Also known as spey (orten) viaduct.