Mansion dated 1786 and 1848, N and S wing.
William Robertson, 1826; substantial remodelling of main
frontage, probably Thomas Mackenzie, 1848; large 2- and
3-storey rear additions by J M Dick Peddie, 1904. Tall
symmetrical classical E facing, 3-storey house with further
(1826) single storey over raised basement wide 2-bay wings
projecting from N and S gables. Mixed pinned granite rubble,
contrasting tooled ashlar dressings.
1848 remodelled frontage; projecting pedimented 1848 centre
bay with centre round-headed entrance flanked by similarly
shaped side windows with egg and dart detailing and by single round-headed niche each with statue. Balustraded porte-
cochere supported by 4 Roman Doric columns with entablature.
Pediment filled with cartouche dated 1786 and 1848, apex
and end 1848 urn finials.
Moulded jambs to all front windows, lugged at ground floor,
corniced at 1st and smaller at 2nd floors (in centre block
dating from 1848 and replacing 1786 ground and 1st floor
tripartites). N and S wings with bowed end gables lit by
wide corniced tripartites with engaged Doric columns
flanking centre light. N wing roofless.
Wing and full height canted window project at rear. Some
varied glazing survives, but windows mainly boarded (1987).
End stacks with flanking scroll brackets; various rear
stacks; steeply pitched slated piended roof to main block,
piended slated roofs elsewhere.
INTERIOR: S drawing-room with panelled and reeded dado,
door and window shutters; corniced and carved overdoor
decorated with crossed fronds; carved chimneypiece; coved
ceiling with reeded ornamentation to cornice.
Cantilevered carved staircase.
Elsewhere interior gutted (1987).
Statement of Special Interest
Empty and partially gutted. Orton Estate purchased mid 18th
century by William, Duke of Fife; passed to his youngest son,
Hon Arthur Duff, on whose death in 1805 to nephew Richard
Wharton who added Duff to his surname on his marriage to
Lady Anne Duff. Inherited by present owners through female
Ruinous Italianate laundry (A and W Reid, 1855) and vaulted
icehouse to rear of mansion.