Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
St Andrews And St Leonards
NO 45848 14549
345848, 714549


Dated 1738, restored by J Whyte-Melville in 1876 (see Notes). Segmental-arch-headed stone. To front, inset table inscribed - "The grave of Andrew Gullin who suffered at the gallow tree of Edinburgh July 1683. A faithful martyr here doth lie, a witness against perjury. Who cruelly was put to death, to gratify proud prelates wrath. They cut his hands ere he was dead, and after that struck off his head. To Magus Muir they did him bring, his body on a pole did hing. His blood under the altar cries for vengeance on Christ's enemies". To rear, inscribed - "Erected 1738, Restored 1876, Re-erected after being accidentally broken 1885".

Statement of Special Interest

Located among trees to the west of Claremont Farm, this simple inscribed 18th century burial memorial to Andrew Gullin remembers events related to the killing of Archbishop James Sharp by a group of Covenanters at Magus Muir in 1679. It is part of the wider history of martyrdom and the post-Reformation church in Scotland.

Andrew Gullin (or Guillan), a weaver from Balmerino, was one of two men executed in 1683 for being present at the murder/assasination of Archbishop Sharp. There are numerous recorded variations on the spelling of his name including Guillan, Guilline, Gullan and Gulline.

In his book, Balmerino And Its Abbey (1867) James Campbell records that two stones with identical inscriptions were erected to Andrew Guillan in the 18th century, the other being at Magus Muir. He also notes there is a "well-authenticated tradition that the present stone [at Claremont] was erected about 1788 and in the enclosing wall there are fragments of an earlier tombstone with words of the same inscription as that now standing". The stone was restored and re-set within a stone surround by local landowner John Whyte-Melville in 1876.

Half a kilometre to the north, Whyte-Melville also restored, that same year, the Memorial to Five Covenanters who were executed in 1679 in a vengeful response to the earlier killing of the Archbishop at Magus Muir. He also built the nearby pyramid-shaped Sharp Memorial (see separate listing - HBNum 15808


James Sharp was the subject of criticism for his part in the persecution of the Covenanters in Scotland who signed the National Covenant in 1638 to confirm their opposition to the interference by the Stuart kings in the affairs of the Presbyterian Church.

Formerly a Scheduled Monument (SM 9705), removed 2013.

Previously listed as "Claremont, Tomb of Guillan (Or Gullan)". Change of Category from B to C and description revised, 2013.



Rev Charles Rose, History of St Andrews (1849) p65. James Campbell, Balmerino And Its Abbey (1867) p427. John Henderson Thompson, The Martyr Graves of Scotland (1903).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLAREMONT, MEMORIAL TO ANDREW GULLIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2019 23:37