Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

STABLES, PITLOUR HOUSE, STRATHMIGLOLB15788

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/10/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Strathmiglo
NGR
NO 21007 11286
Coordinates
321007, 711286

Description

Possibly Robert Mylne with George Paterson, circa 1767-75; alterations William Simson (mason), circa 1827; further alterations 21st century. Single and 2-storey courtyard-plan classical stable block with distinctive doocot tower with ogival roof over basket-arched pend in E range and raised pyramidal-roofed corner pavilions to south range; three Venetian doors to south elevation of south range. Situated on rising ground to north east of Pitlour House. Mainly harled sandstone rubble with polished ashlar rusticated quoins to south and west ranges.

Grey slates. Squared rubble stacks with ashlar copes and clay cans.

Statement of Special Interest

A fine mid to late-18th century stable block with good classical detailing which makes a strong visual contribution to the Pitlour estate policies. The stable block incorporates a doocot which is remarkable for its large size. It also incorporates an unusual stone henhouse with stone nesting boxes with curved rear walls.

The detailing of the stable block indicates a knowledge of contemporary architectural fashion which accords with the designer being an architect of some standing. Although there is no documentary evidence to support the attribution to Robert Mylne working with George Paterson on this building, the suggestion is based on a close association between the two architects and similarities of details to other work by them.

There is various evidence for George Paterson and Robert Mylne's association as Paterson superintended the building of St Cecilia's Hall on Mylne's behalf in 1761-3. Moreover Paterson and Mylne both worked at Amisfield in 1766 for Francis Charteris, 7th Earl of Wemyss. Stylistically there are links with similar buildings by Mylne (for example in the stables at Inveraray and in some details at Pitlour House) and by Paterson (for example at the stables at Cambo House.) Documentary sources prove the latter were designed by George Paterson in the 1760s for Francis Charteris, later 7th Earl of Wemyss of Gosford (he owned Cambo from 1759-87). Paterson himself owned a small estate, Cunnochie, in Fife which is close to Strathmiglo and, of his known work, seven jobs were in Fife.

Robert Mylne (1733-1811), one of the foremost architects and engineers of the late 18th/early 19th century in Britain, undertook a large number of country house commissions. Only a few were in Scotland and of these, some have been subsequently altered significantly (e.g. Cally House, Kirkcudbrightshire) or the work involved additions to existing houses (e.g.Amisfield, East Lothian).

George Paterson (d.1789) achieved some fame during his lifetime building up a client base in southern Scotland, working for the 8th Earl of Dalhousie, the 3rd Earl of Bute and 7th Viscount Stormont to name but a few. He had the reputation of being 'the most reasonable and least expensive architect in this country'.

A number of alterations were subsequently made to the stable block, probably in the 1820s, including an extension to the east end of the south front though this has subsequently been removed. Records show that the substantial sum of £150 was expended on alterations at that date.

Listed building record and statutory address updated, 2014.

References

Bibliography

Gosford House archives (cash books for Cambo Estate). Edinburgh Evening Courant (10 April 1765). Census records for Strathmiglo and Abernethy parishes. Ainslie map (1775). Sir A E Richardson, Robert Mylne, Architect and Engineer, 1733 to 1811, (1955) p98, plates 47-9. C McWilliam, 'Pitlour', Scotland's Magazine, October 1960, pp37-40. H Colvin, Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 4th ed. (2008). Buildings of Scotland research notes, RCAHMS. R D A Evetts, 'Pitlour House and Landscape: An Account of Its Development' (unpublished research report, March 2014).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STABLES, PITLOUR HOUSE, STRATHMIGLO

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 21:39