Probably 1788, substantial additions and internal
remodelling by A Marshall Mackenzie, architect, 1892-3.
Large E facing 2-storey house over raised basement, with
3-bay frontage and 5-bay return S elevation. Harled,
tooled granite margins and dressings. Centre door masked
by 1893 gabled porch and reached by flight of steps
oversailing raised basement; ornamental cast-iron
balustrade. Outer bay fenestration set in long shallow
round-headed recesses rising from basement to frame ground
floor tripartites and 1st floor Venetian windows, simple
round-headed centre 1st floor window. Plain long S facing
return elevation with additional canted end bay at SW
rising full height and off-centre projecting canted window
at basement and ground floor only. Plain irregular rear
(remodelled after some demolition) with centre stair window;
2-pane glazing. Band course and angle quoins to frontage;
1893 dated rainwater goods. Substantial pair coped granite
stacks in centre of piended platform roof, additional
ridge stack at gabled rear.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with reeded Corinthian screen,
and original raised and fielded panelled doors with
corniced overdoors. 1893 wooden staircase with barley-sugar
twist balusters and swag carved decoration to outer tread
ends. Re-modelled arcaded and pilastered 1st floor landing.
Dining room with black 1893 carved and columned
chimneypiece. Carved and swagged 1893 Adamesque drawingroom chimneypiece. Some decorative plaster ceilings and cornices.
Detached NW wing: 1788. 2-storey, 3-bay S facing building
set back at NW, probably former kitchen. Harled and harl
pointed rubble, tooled granite dressings. Irregular 3-E
frontage; large later rear (?) garage entrance; some blind
windows, 4- and 12-pane glazing; off-centre ridge stack;
piended slate roof.