Circa 1790, on earlier site and possibly incorporating
earlier fabric. Addition, William Robertson, 1826. 2-storey
and attic, S facing 3-bay house and lower 2-storey wing set
back at W gable. Squared tooled ashlar frontage, harled
flanks, rear and wing, tooled and polished ashlar dressings
Centre entrance approached by short flight of steps; corniced,
lugged and moulded doorpiece with rectangular fanlight with
'Gothic' glazing; panelled door.
Regular front fenestration with longer 1st floor windows and
single 1st floor windows in E and W gables; originally the
rear had symmetrical fenestration, the regularity marred by
1826 wing with ground and single 1st floor windows and with
large regular 2-bay window pattern in N elevation. 2 later
piended dormers; mainly 12-pane glazing.
Rusticated quoins in main house; moulded eaves cornice; tall
end stacks with moulded copes; slate roofs with modern solar
panels at ridge.
INTERIOR: entrance stairhall with shaped cantilevered
staircase rising through house; main public rooms originally
at 1st floor level, re-furbished in 1826 with some key pattern
doors jambs and plaster cornices with anthemion detailing.
Some late 18th century raised and fielded panelled doors.
Subsequent division of large 1st floor drawing room.
Ground floor dining room with mid 19th century black marble
chimneypiece with access to 1826 service area in W wing.
White marble chimneypiece in present drawing room. Re-used
late 17th/early 18th century moulded hearth surround in SW
attic room; 19th century cast-iron bedroom grates in some
rooms. Pair re-used raised and fielded panelled doors
(probably from 1st floor drawing room) close storage cupboard
in service area, W wing. Rear basement area and vaulted
GATEPIERS (NJ 196 648): circa 1790 pair square ashlar gatepiers
with corniced square caps surmounted by ball finials. Pair
cast-iron carriage gates.
Statement of Special Interest
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT 1792-3; Witherington and Grant ed.
vol. xvi, 1982), p. 693.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1835), pp. 96, 98.
J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), p.80.
Robert Young, THE PARISH OF SPYNIE (1871), pp.253-61.
Moray District Record Office, ZBEI A71/826/52,328,375.