Probably William Robertson, 1829. Single storey house over
raised basement with 2-storey outer bays, S facing symmetrical
5-bay frontage. Tooled coursed rubble, polished ashlar
Pedimented portico with dated tympanum supported by 2 fluted
Greek Doric columns; moulded architraves to doorway with
panelled door and rectangular fanlight. Corniced string
course with blocking course links centre single storey 3 bays
with slightly advanced 2-storey outer bays, each with
aproned ground floor windows, similar fenestration in return
E and W walls. Single storey, 2-bay rear wings in sympathy
with main front, at NE by J Wittet, 1899 and dated 1930 at NW. Lying-pane glazing throughout, with modern plate glass in
lower lights of front ground floor sashes. Coped paired ridge
stacks and rear end stacks; piended and gabled slate roofs.
Later centre dormer window.
INTERIOR: simple interior with some remodelling (1899 and
later); few original features survive.
Statement of Special Interest
ELGIN COURIER, 25 Dec 1829. Advertisement for tenders.
Robert Young, THE PARISH OF SPYNIE (1871), p. 118.
Grant G Simpson, "Aldroughty in Moray, A University Chequers
of the North".
ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY REVIEW, No 176 (Autumn 1986), pp. 438-455.