James Gillespie Graham, 1826; alterations and additions, P
MacGregor Chalmers, Glasgow 1907. Gothic. Harl pointed
rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. S gable fronted
by 3-stage tower with entrance at base, each stage delineated
by string course; recessed entrance with Perpendicular Gothic
doorpiece flanked by ashlar dummy facetted lanterns with
crocketted caps. Hoodmoulded pointed-headed traceried window
above; louvred fenestration in upper stage, N, S and W faces
of tower; ashlar balustraded wallhead with substantial
corbelled and crocketted angle pinnacles. 3 large windows
with Perpendicular tracery light to long W elevation, each
window flanked by stepped buttress terminating at wallhead
with substantial crocketted pinnacle. 3 (1907) similar
windows light E elevation, buttressed only in outer bays.
Large hoodmoulded and similarly traceried window in centre of
N gable. Small (1907) hexagonal vestry at NE. Clear quarry
glazing (1907) except for circa 1918 stained glass window at
N. Apex across finial at N gable; slate roof.
INTERIOR: lofty all interior largely remodelled 1907. Cusped
panelled dado encircles interior (made from former gallery
front); cusped panelled pulpit, holy table and rear screen
(all 1907); round-headed entrance (also 1907) into church
from entrance lobby; plain stained pine pews (1907).
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Replaced earlier church sited in present (old) burial ground.
Stained glass window given in memory of Capt H B Galloway,
killed in action, 1915. Clock dated 1907 at rear of church
gifted by Alexander Walker, a native of Rafford, then
President of the Colonial Bank of New York.