Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BURGIE TOWERLB15586

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/01/1971
Date Removed:
21/08/2017
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Rafford
NGR
NJ 9368 59314
Coordinates
309368, 859314

Removal Reason

Delist to remove dual designation (monument will remain scheduled) For RoH etc. see 300018633

Description

Dated 1602. Tall, 6-storey tower, the surviving portion of

former castle. Harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings. Square

tower with crenellated and bartizaned wallhead with cannon

waterspouts; regular fenestration; projecting circular stair

turret rising full-height against E elevation; doorway at E

in ground floor with wrought-iron yett; gun loops. E face

reveals former 1st floor hall hearth with massive joggled

corniced mantel with centre coat of arms.

INTERIOR: tower consists of single rooms, one on top of other

served by wheel stair; rooms in 2 upper floors vaulted; apex

of stair tower also vaulted.

Statement of Special Interest

Coat of Arms initialled AD and KR for Alexander Dunbar of

Grange and his wife Katherine Reid, with RD for Robert Dunbar

below with '1602 zeiris'. Alexander Dunbar died in 1593

before completion of castle in 1602 and was succeeded by his

son Robert. Castle added to in 1702 and demolished (except

tower) in 1802 to provide materials for Burgie House

(remodelled 1912).

Change of Category B to A, 25.4.89.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1794-5, Witherington and Grant ed

1982), p.631. Anon, SURVEY OF PROVINCE OF MORAY (1798),

p.161. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1842), p.248. MacGibbon and

Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND

ii (1887), pp.261-3. J G Murray, THE BOOK OF BURGIE (1930),

pp.21-2, 30 pl.3. Stewart Cruden, THE SCOTTISH CASTLE (1960,

3rd ed 1981), p.220.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BURGIE TOWER

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 18:32