BURIAL GROUND: large irregularly shaped rubble walled burial
ground; tooled ashlar cope; cast-iron spearhead railings at
NW angle flanking simple entrance with pair slender cast-iron
gatepiers and closed by plain spearhead carriage gates.
Various tombstone of 18th century and subsequent date. Burial
enclosure of Gordons of Farskan and Nether Buckie erected
1799 but incorporating memorial of 1592.
RANNAS AISLE: dated 1612. Former S aisle of demolished parish
church. Rectangular, harl pointed rubble; ashlar dressings.
Large round-headed arched entrance with chamfered ashlar
margins; concave moulded eaves cornice; flush faced slab
INTERIOR: substantial marble memorial to Andrew Hay of
Rannas, died 1789; single hatchment.
Statement of Special Interest
Farskan (Gordons of Farskan) on site now occupied by Cullen
Old parish church demolished 1793-4 to furnish materials for
new church, the present Rathven parish church sited to NE of
burial ground. Only the S aisle survives, housing the
memorial to Andrew Hay of Rannas and his forebears, his
geneological details inscribed on the mural tablet. Andrew
(d.1789) was the last Hay of Rannas and after his death the
estate was purchased by the Earl of Seafield.