Mid-later 18th century. Pair of formerly mirrored 2-storey,
5-bay blocks wth centre projecting stairwell flanked by
doorways, fronting each other and flanking front court of
mansion long demolished. Pinned rubble, tooled ashlar
E BLOCK: converted as dwelling in later 19th century. Ground
floor canted window projects at SW, 2 gabled dormers break
wallhead in outer front bays, 3 at rear. 4-pane glazing.
Later 19th century gabled end stacks, single rear wallhead
stack; later 19th century gabled slate roof with projecting
W BLOCK: symmetrical 5-bay E front; entrances flank centre
stair projection; regular 3-window fenestration in W
elevation; all windows margined. Coped end stacks; piended
local slate roof with stone ridge.
INTERIOR: in poor condition; remains of former kitchen in
ground floor and large combed ceiling room in 1st floor.
Cantilevered staircase survives in stairwell.
WALLED GARDEN: L-plan walled garden to E and N of complex
enclosing site of former mansion. Rubble, tooled cope. Large round-headed entrance arch at W.
Statement of Special Interest
Rannas was the ancestral home of the Hay's of Rannas. Andrew
Hay, the last of the line, died in 1789, after which the
property was bought by the Earl of Seafield. The 'House of
Rannas' was demolished at some time before 1822: some of the
material re-used in Cullen Town Hall, 1822-3. Some slates
re-used on Cullen House c. 1985.