Probably 1838, and probably William Robertson, architect,
incorporating earlier core. 2-storey, 4-bay W facing house.
Modern harl, tooled ashlar dressings. Off-centre hood-moulded
recessed entrance in slightly advanced gabled bay; 1st floor
front windows break wallhead under pronounced gablets; later
painted wooden oriel in 1st floor S gable; ground and 1st
floor windows in N (Castle Street) return elevation. 8-pane
horizontal glazing except in oriel which has 3-pane
Ashlar base course; rear gabled stairwell; coped end and
shaped rear wallhead stacks; Banffshire slate roof.
REAR WALLS: walled rear enclosure, mainly rubble but with
some brick replacement.
STABLES: William Robertson, probably 1838. Single storey and
loft range, rubble, partially harled. Centre wallhead gable
with window; multi-pane glazing; Banffshire slate roof.
Statement of Special Interest
St Margaret's is almosts certainly 'the house formerly
occupied by the Episcopal Clergyman in Fochabers' remodelled
in 1838 at cost of $900. It appears to incorporate an earlier
dwelling (which is on 1825 plan of Fochabers); the stable
block does not appear on this 1825 plan and may be the
2-stalled stable, coach-house cow-house' mentioned in
prospectus of circa 1850 issued for sale of property of which
RHP 31774 is undated drawing (probably 1838) by William
Robertson, architect, Elgin.