Dated 1816. Large former courtyard farm steading with W
range now demolished. Rubble, finely tooled ashlar dressings. Segmental-headed archway in centre of S elevation surmounted
by square crenellated clock tower rising 3 stages above
wallhead; window in centre of 1st and 2nd stages in S front
with clock face in each elevation of upper stage; small
leaded domed belfry supported by 4 slender columns stands on
top of tower with apex weathervane.
Corresponding crenellated square tower rises single stage
above segmental-headed archway in former centre of N
elevation, flanked W by surviving single bay of former
dwelling and E by 3-bay house later raised to accommodate
wallhead dormers. End stacks serving these houses rise above
wallhead of tower; flight-holes in all faces serve dovecot in
W inner face of E range largely taken up by arcade of 12
basket-arched cart bays below regularly spaced granary
Further range of 4 cart bays, also below granary windows,
flank inner face to E of clock tower; former stables with
swept dormered loft windows. All cart arches and entrances
have finely tooled (droved) jambs.
Varied roofing, brown Banffshire slates, grey slates and some
Statement of Special Interest
Letters from Factor of Castle to Col. Grant of Cullen suggest
that the Home Farm was built in stages. Plans for various
offices sent from Castle Grant to Cullen ...... 'from time to
time (it) should be built in such a manner that it may form
part of a regular Plan, no matter when the place is
Larger loft openings (pitching eyes) under shallow swept
dormers above stables probably designed to accommodate the
bulk of bundles of hay raised up from wagon on pitch-fork.
Unusual long range of 12 cart bays. Exceptional quality
tooling to ashlar dressings.
S aspect clock face dated 1816.
Modern farm buildings at W of steading not included in