Probably 1730-40. Possibly James Ogilvie, master mason.
2-storey, 3-bay house with later single storey, single bay
wing at W gable. Modern render with contrasting painted
rendered margins. Symmetrical N and S elevations. At S centre
door with widely spaced narrow windows. At N centre shaped
gable breaks wallhead with attic window and deep moulded
cope to apex stack. Slightly enlarged outer bay ground floor
windows with unfortunate modern slated canopies. Narrow
centre ground floor window possibly replacing former
Varied glazing. Substantial end stacks encased in modern
render; slightly bellcast slate roof; small scroll skewputts.
INTERIOR. Nothing of interest survives. Remodelled circa
Statement of Special Interest
Birkenbush was the property of the Gordons (?of Gordon
Castle) until purchased by the Gordons of Cairnfield during
Slightly bellcast roof and shaped skewputts reminiscent of
Pittensair, St Andrews Lhanbryde Parish, the house built for
himself by James Ogilvie, master mason, in 1735.
Steading at W of house not included in listing.