Rectangular rubble walled burial ground. Entrance in NE angle
flanked by square ashlar gatepiers with shallow pyramidal
caps and linked by ashlar overthrow with apex cross; pair
Rectangular mortuary chapel (W G Brander, architect, Clochan, Banffshire, 1955), incorporated in E angle of burial ground
wall. Harled, ashlar dressings. Round-headed entrance in
centre W gable with double-leaf plank doors. Crowstepped
gables; cross finial at W apex. Re-set datestone of 1687.
DAWSON MAUSOLEUM: Reginald Fairlie, architect, 1939.
Octagonal; rubble with tooled and polished ashlar dressings;
small gabled projection at E, recessed entrance at W with
roll-moulded projection at E, recessed entrance at W with
roll-moulded, semi-octagonal frame; double-leaf plank doors;
small square-headed lights with lattice-pane glazing in each
face. Piended octagonal graded Banffshire slate roof with
lead apex cross.
17th century and subsequent tomb stones. Also white marble
Celtic memorial cross heavily decorated with interlacing
Statement of Special Interest
Early Roman Catholic church site. Ruined chapel known to have
existed in 1602 and another built in 1687. Presumably the
datestone from this church is that now set in chapel wall.
Desecrated by soldiers in 1728 and abandoned, though the
slates were re-used to re-roof St Ninian's, Tynet in 1787.
White marble Celtic cross commemorates Bishop Nicholson first
Vicar Apostolic of Scotland who died in 1718 and 26 priests
buried within the grave yard.