Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

CARDRONA MAINS, CART SHEDLB15438

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
01/03/1978
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Traquair
NGR
NT 30146 39004
Coordinates
330146, 639004

Description

1816 with circa 1840 and later 19th century alterations. Rectangular-plan cart shed with (in-filled) segmental-arched openings adjoining later buildings to form U-plan steading with west facing open cattle court. Coursed whinstone rubble with whinstone wedge voussoirs and rough-hewn whinstone long and short quoins; some cart arches now bricked up.

E (CART ARCH) ELEVATION: long 2-storey range, blind to extreme left with 4 segmental-headed cart arches to rest of ground floor elevation (arches 2 and 3 later in-filled with stone walls to just below ?-height with glazing in timber frames to upper arch; 1st and 4th arch alter similarly with entrance against outer jamb); to 1st floor, 2 small square windows (aligned with piers between arches 1 and 2 and 3 and 4) set high under eaves. To right, set of ashlar steps leading into heart of steading with single storey, multi-bayed range adjoining to right.

S ELEVATION: to left and centre, long wall of slightly later range with pair of widely and irregularly spaced doors with 2 very small later entrances (for animals) at extreme right of ground level; pair of roof lights. Adjoining to right, higher single storey building with very large segmental-headed arch to centre of elevation (now in-filled with high timber sliding door to right on full span timber runner, to left stone walling to bottom supporting 3 light timber window; corrugated-iron in-fill to top of arch).

W (CATTLE COURT) ELEVATION: single storey wall ends to left and right: left end with canted wallhead to right and full height entrance to left, right end blind; lower wall adjoining inner

N ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.

Variety of glazing planes in timber frames. Piended slate roofs with 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights and replacement roll ridging. Timber boarded doors (some sliding doors to larger openings). Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: retaining original layout, stone walls, some flagged floors with other replaced. Currently in use as stores, 2002.

Statement of Special Interest

Former cart shed to west of the farmhouse (listed separately). This farm lies about a mile away from Cardrona House (to which it was originally tied) on the north side of the B7062 immediately to the west of the new Cardrona Village. The farm was extended and improved in circa 1840 when the new Cardrona House was being built. Previously the farm (that is the original house and 1816 farm steading) was called 'Standin' Stane' after a large standing stone that is still sited in a field to the west. This stone (a Scheduled Ancient Monument) was erected to mark the spot of an ancient warrior who had fell here. During the mid 19th century improvements to the estate, some smaller farms (including Highland Shiel and Kirkburn) ceased to exist and their lands encompassed into the new 'Cardrona Mains' we see today. Originally the cart shed stood on its own with a now altered I-plan range to the north with paired cattle courts to the west. The rear range was accessed by a small road, which led directly from the main road (now the B7062) next to the mill dam (sited to the west of the range and now no longer in existence); it curved around and accessed the rear range around which was a field with a wooded boundary. The improvements saw buildings erected next to the cart shed, which in turn formed a new west facing U-plan range with the centrepiece being an open cattle court. Post-improvement, the west access road to the rear range vanished and was replaced by a new field boundary (with the wooded area cleared). Access was now to the east of the complex from the road that separated the farmhouse from the range and led directly to the U-plan steading to the rear of the farmhouse. Both access roads are in use at present following the removal of the small field enclosure to the south of the ranges (now a gravelled area) and the re-routing of the 'village' access road. Listed as a good example of an early small Borders steading, now nearly urban due to the proximity of the "new" Cardrona Village development.

References

Bibliography

W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) showing original Cardrona estate buildings. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing Cardrona Mains farmhouse and associated buildings. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227 for area. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARDRONA MAINS, CART SHED

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 11:14