Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KAILZIE, SCOTS MILLLB15420

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
21/02/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Traquair
NGR
NT 27422 39175
Coordinates
327422, 639175

Description

1802 for Robert Nutter Campbell. 2-storey and attic, irregularly fenestrated L-plan former corn mill with pyramidal-roofed kiln in N arm and former granary to W. Random local whinstone rubble with whinstone dressings, later openings with some sandstone ashlar dressings. Skew gabled with plain skews and putts.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation with central timber boarded entrance door within whinstone surround with segmental (whinstone voussoired) lintel; segmental-headed windows to flanks with similarly treated dressings; inscribed panel RNC 1802 SM. Piended hayloft entrance breaking eaves between door and right window with boarded timber section to lower and window to upper section.

W ELEVATION: square-plan kiln to left and granary wing advanced to right, both newly fenestrated. Kiln: new central fenestration to each level. Advanced kiln: central entrance in advanced lower loft; to middle loft, central serliana style tripartite window (without the columns) with lean-to roof of lower loft rising and flanking it; to attic, central segmental-headed window.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: to left, advanced kiln with new fenestration; return of granary to right with new fenestration.

E ELEVATION: granary to left with entrance at lower level accessed by flight of steps, central serliana style tripartite window to middle loft with central segmental-headed attic window in gablehead; near blind kiln to right (sparsely fenestrated).

8 and 12-pane glazing (with segmental-headed upper sashes) in timber sash and case windows; large multi-pane fixed arch-headed window to W gable; later traditional style glazing in later openings. Pitched slate roof with slated pyramidal-roofed kiln; replacement ridging and flashing; row of roofline ventilators in granary. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: converted to form modern residential accommodation in the late 20th century; original room layout still visible with later connecting openings and timber staircase.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B-Group with Miller's House. This former corn mill and miller's house are part of the wider surviving landscape features from Kailzie House, demolished in 1958. Kailzie was built in 1803 for Robert Nutter Campbell, a Glasgow merchant. It was described as a "very elegant 2-storey and basement mansion of moderate size with a bowed garden front". All that remains of the house is a small building (listed separately) that was formerly part of the courtyard buildings and a pond now marks the spot of the main house. The stables, lodges and walled garden are listed separately. This is the former mill for the Kailzie Estate. The mill is situated on the north side of the B7062 and the miller's house opposite to the south. The mill was built at the same time as the Campbell mansion, the house a little later. The front elevation of the Miller's house is stylistically similar to the farmhouse at Kailzie Home Farm, as well as some outhouses remaining on the Kailzie estate. The mill complex was part of a group of associated buildings sited just outside the inner designed landscape of the estate. Most of the machinery has been dismantled but a wheel (from elsewhere) is sited at the west-end of the building. The inscribed panel on the south elevation is initialled RNC (for Robert Nutter Campbell) and SM (which maybe a reference to Scots Mill). Across the road, the dwelling house is dated 1812 and may be mentioned as a good example of "pattern-book Gothic" (listed separately). Originally, the corn mill building (comprising of the described granary and kiln) stood alone at the W of the site. It was water powered by a mill lade which originated on the Haystoun Burn to the west near Whitehaugh. A weir later replaced the caul and a new sluice fed the same lade. Part of the mill lade can still be seen to the south of the road. The mill site grew, with large associated buildings appearing to the east of the earlier mill. These still stand and are also being converted to residential accommodation. Listed as a good example of an estate corn mill, which retains original features such as the kiln and granary sections.

References

Bibliography

W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) showing original Kailzie estate buildings. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) and 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing mill and dwelling house. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1961) Inv 333 plate 129a. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p227. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KAILZIE, SCOTS MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/12/2018 23:58