Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB15414

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Yetholm
NGR
NT 82568 28085
Coordinates
382568, 628085

Description

Robert Brown, 1835-7; interior recast circa 1935. Rectangular-plan Gothick church with tower to S. Coursed whinstone with cream sandstone dressings. Base course; eaves cornice; hoodmoulded lancet windows; chamfered reveals; polygonal buttress towers with obelisk finials clasping angles; pointed-arched and hoodmould doorways.

TOWER: square-section, 3-stage tower. Doorway at ground to SE; modern 2-leaf door and tympanum; narrow round-arched louvre above; pointed-arched traceried louvre with clock at 3rd stage: gabled towerhead with corbelled finial to each face. Pointed-arched traceried window at 2nd stage to SW; 3rd stage detailed as above. Narrow round-arched blinded opening at 2nd stage to NW; pointed-arched louvre at 3rd stage. Pointed-arched louvre to 3rd stage to NE.

SE ELEVATION: 3-bay with windows in each bay; doorway to outer left; modern 2-leaf door and tympanum.

NW ELEVATION: 3-bay with windows in each bay.

NE ELEVATION: 2-bay gabled. 2 traceried pointed-arched windows.

SW ELEVATION: 3-bay gabled with tower in centre bay (see above). Lancet windows in bays to outer left and right; flat-roofed addition in re-entrant angle with tower to outer left.

Clear glass leaded windows. Grey slate roof; coped gables.

INTERIOR: stained glass in 2 chancel windows and window flanking organ by Ballantine and Son of Edinburgh; chamber organ; segmental arch to chancel; gallery supported by gilded fluted columns with foliate capitals; decorative plaster rose; original benches and dado panelling; carved timber lectern with traceried panels; clocks (1993); timber communion table and elders' chairs; bell inscribed "Johannes Burgerhuys me fecit 1643"; datestones of 1610 and 1763 set into internal wall of tower; stone spiral stair to gallery with simple iron balustrade. GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: finialled polygonal whinstone gatepiers; iron spearheaded gates; rubble boundary walls.

GRAVEYARD: gravestones dated from 17th century; Boyd family of Cherrytrees mausoleum; Rev John Baird (d1861) enclosure.

Statement of Special Interest

The mediaeval church of Yetholm, said to be the last remaining reed- thatched parish church in Scotland, was demolished in 1835 and the present structure built on the site. The only remnants of the mediaeval church appear to be the datestones (referring to alterations), the bell (from the Burgerhuys foundry at Middleburg, Holland), and some fragments of stonework preserved in the Manse garden. The Heritors Records first mention the subject of a replacement for the small and dilapidated church on 12/2/1835, and John and Thomas Smith of Darnick were instructed to draw up plans. By April of 1835, one of the Heritors, the Marquis of Tweeddale, had objected to the plans, and further designs were requested from Walter Elliot of Kelso and Robert Brown of Edinburgh (Lord Tweeddale's own architect at Yester). In May 1835 Robert Brown was selected as architect, and after much wrangling Walter Elliot was appointed as contractor. The estimated cost was $1425. On 28/1/1837 the church was declared "fit for Divine Worship". Photographs of the unbuilt designs exist in the NMRS, and a seating plan for the extant church survives with the Heritors' Records. The interior was remodelled circa 1935, when the side galleries and high pulpit were removed and dark varnish cleaned from the pews.

References

Bibliography

SRO HERITORS' RECORDS HR.189.2; NSA (revised 1835), pp162-164; NMRS photographic collection nos RXD/269/1-22; F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND VOL VI (revised 1893), p503; H Scott (ed) FASTI ECCLESIAE SCOTICANAE (1917), pp94-97; THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES REGISTER AND DIRECTORY (1866), p159; RCAHMS ROXBURGHSHIRE INVENTORY (1956), pp450-451; Anon THE KIRK OF YETHOLM (n.d), pp1-13.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PARISH CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 20:53