Clark & Balmin, wright and mason of Kelso, 1831, with later alterations. Single storey irregular-plan school (formerly incorporating schoolhouse), with 1992 addition to S. Rubble whinstone with contrasting broached sandstone ashlar. Long and short quoins and surrounds to openings; chamfered reveals; swept and overhanging eaves.
N ELEVATION: 6-bay. Advanced gabled entrance in penultimate bay from left; doorway with stone pentice canopy; boarded door; 2-pane fanlight; oculus set in gablehead. Tripartite windows breaking eaves in bays to right of centre and outer right. Pentice-canopied tripartite windows in remaining bays.
S ELEVATION: new harled wing adjoining to outer right; 2 groups of 3 windows; each group comprising lower central window flanked by windows breaking eaves in swept piended roofs.
W ELEVATION: 3 bays recessed from right. Single window breaking eaves in swept piended roof in bay to outer right. Flat-roofed enclosed porch in central bay; boarded door to left return. Tripartite window in bay to outer left.
E ELEVATION: enlarged tripartite window; new harled wing adjoining to outer left.
INTERIOR: much altered; plain plaster cornice to main schoolroom.
Timber sash and case windows; variety of glazing patterns, including some leaded lights. Purple-grey slate roof.
PLAYSHEDS: rectangular-plan piend-roofed playsheds and former cloakrooms, symmetrical along N-S axis; materials and detailing as school; original cast-iron columns replaced by steel columns; scalloped conical ventilator cap to E.