Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DIRLETON VILLAGE, DIRLETON PARISH CHURCH, GATEWAY AND GRAVEYARD WALLSLB1526

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Dirleton
NGR
NT 51261 84225
Coordinates
351261, 684225

Description

After 1612. Post Reformation church on long, narrow plan with W tower, S (Archerfield) aisle added 1656-674; W tower raised later (1825) to 4 stages. N vestry added. Sandstone rubble, formerly harled with freestone ashlar dressings and large ashlar masonry to aisle. Slated roof; overlapping slabs to aisle. Plain raised skews.

S ELEVATION: originally long low elevation with former entrance (now window) at left and round arched windows. Archerfield aisle projecting off centre to right in solid Scottish Renaissance style. Casped Gothic tripartite, loop traceried, round arched window to S set in moulded panel. Rusticated corner piers. Raised cill and base courses. Dentil corbels to shallow pediment above and to cill course. Cartouche panel with James Maxwell's arms in pediment. Doorway to E. Double doors in architrave with keystone linked to pediment bearing Maxwell shield. Corbelled memorial panel to right.

N ELEVATION: with later 19th century gabled vestry projecting at centre. Flanking bays gabled with round arched windows breaking eaves. Former N door to right blocked now window.

TOWER: 4-stage, set flush into W gable. Modern doorway at base. Small 1st stable light. Pointed arched, louvred 2nd stage opening with triple arched louvred lights above. Corbelled parapet with gabletted angle pinnacles and raised over incised cross to each face. Stair turret to N; conical roof at lower belfry level. Upper 2 stages of S and E sides as for W.

E ELEVATION: former doorway at centre, blocked 1930, Y-traceried round arched window inserted with interesting tracery. Wall monument 1728 left of window. Doric aedicule with swan neck pediment and cartouche. Flanking strapwork carving with symbols of mortality.

INTERIOR: plain in arrangement and decoration. Reorganised in 1930s when gallery was removed and chancel added. Open tie beam timber roof and stone barrel vault to aisle. Stained glass in 3-lights of aisle, St Francis and the Animals by Margaret Chilton 1935, executed by Marjorie Kemp under FC Mears. Oak pulpit and lectern. Organ by Ingram and Co 1900. Tower vaulted at ground stage with stair turret to bell-chamber above.

GRAVEYARD: contains good 18th century monuments including: SW of church, squat elaborate Baroque adstone to George Seton. Set into W wall, stone with unusual mask and artisan details.

GATEWAY AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped squared rubble wall with polygonal, stugged ashlar gatepiers with pyramidal caps. Decorative iron gates and overthrow. Pedestrian entrance to W. Coped rubble boundary wall to N and W.

Statement of Special Interest

CHURCH: Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Parish transferred from Gullane in 1612. Arguably Direlton is the 1st post reformation church in Scotland, before Greyfriars, Edinburgh. Archerfield Aisle begun by Elisabeth Debousy at cost of £45, allegedly to cover the grave of James Maxwell. The 3-light window may have come from the earlier collegiate church at Dirleton. Before being raised, the tower contained a lectern dovecot above the priest's room. The former parapet marked by waterspouts. "WR" initials by top storey, explain date 1825 for raised height.

SESSION HOUSE AND HALL: gablet skews, with vaulted skewputts to both are part of Lady Elgin's "Tidying" of the village, recurring elsewhere. The Hall may incorporate earlier school.

References

Bibliography

TRANSACTIONS of ELAFNS vol 3 1934-8, W Douglas Simpson,

pp 105-7.

RCAHMS Inventory, number 26

C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978, p 173

Plan, A Morton 1817, Hutton Collection, National Library.

Drummond Sketchbook MS 28/44

SRO GD 6/2223 1708 roof repair.

NMRS ELD/35/1 J S Richardson details and elevations, 1903.

Survey 1914, Richardson and McKay with Dick Peddie and McKay.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DIRLETON VILLAGE, DIRLETON PARISH CHURCH, GATEWAY AND GRAVEYARD WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/11/2018 00:01