Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MOREBATTLE, TEMPLEHALL INNLB15228

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
07/11/2007
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Morebattle
NGR
NT 77246 24894
Coordinates
377246, 624894

Description

18th century with early 19th century alterations and mid- and late 20th century additions at rear. 2-storey, 6-bay, L-plan, gabled rural inn. Harled and washed with painted dressings. Base course to front elevation. Fairly regular fenestration; dressings on right half flush with harling; cills raised on left part. Flat-roofed extension to rear.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in sash and case timber windows. Coped gablehead stacks with yellow clay cans. Ashlar-coped and painted skews. Welsh slates. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: plain timber staircase; 19th century floor plan predominantly retained.

Statement of Special Interest

The inn occupies an important site in the streetscape of the village and is particularly prominent when the village is entered from the E. It is situated with its gable facing the street-line. The appearance of the building and evidence on early maps and in early sources suggests that it was originally a house, and was the property of 'Mr Darling of Templehall' in about 1839. It may have been subdivided in the mid-19th century, though it is simply described as 'Templehall' on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Although Buildings of Scotland suggest that it had been formed out of two 18th century houses, it may have changed from use as a private house to an inn in the later part of the century. Recent additions to the rear are treated in a traditional way with slated roof and harled walls and the flat-roofed section is screened from the street.

References

Bibliography

New Statistical Account of Scotland (1839), volume III, p450. Shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1863). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (circa 1899). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006) p574.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MOREBATTLE, TEMPLEHALL INN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 07:38