Late 18th century for Dr James Hay of Haystoun. 2-storey and later attic, 3-bay T-plan farmhouse with single storey, single bay wings to flanks; modern lean-to sun lounge to rear. U-plan courtyard range to S of farmhouse with adjoining L-plan range to rear. Whitewashed whin rubble with black-painted rusticated quoins and dressings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, single storey wing with boarded entrance door to extreme right. Main house: small window to ground floor left and off centre right, bipartite window to right. To 1st floor, regularly placed window to outer bays; pair of later flat roofed attic dormers with slated cheeks. To right, blind single storey wing.
W ELEVATION: blind wall of single storey wing adjoining ground floor of main house; blind to 1st floor of main house with central wallhead stack.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: shallow T-plan: advanced bay to centre of main house with window to both storeys; regularly placed bays to rest of elevation. Much later single storey, lean-to sun lounge in right re-entrant angle with central tripartite window; to right return, tripartite window and timber entrance door filling elevation. To flanks of main house, single storey, single bay wings; small farm outbuilding with window adjoining to left return of left wing.
E ELEVATION: blind wall of single storey wing adjoining ground floor of main house; blind 1st floor to main house with central wallhead stack.
Later plate glass in timber sash and case windows to most; single hinged panes to later attic; replacement glazing to rear wings (glazing plan in later sun lounge contemporary with structure). Some 12 and 6-pane timber sash and case windows to courtyard range. Piended blue grey slate roof to all. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Whitewashed stone wallhead stacks with black painted rusticated quoins and copes, plain cans.
INTERIOR: modernised and in residential use, 2002.
COURTYARD RANGE: essentially U-plan with L-plan addition to rear. Main 1?-storey, 7-bay W RANGE: to left, door with window to right; small window to right of ? storey. To centre, door with window to flanking bays; to ?-storey, semi-glazed hayloft breaking eaves with small window to each flank. To right, paired cart pends with 2-leaf timber doors; single window to ? storey above each pend. S and E ranges similarly detailed.
Statement of Special Interest
The farm was originally part of the lands owned by the Traquair family, but John Hay acquired it for the Haystoun Estate in 1679. Haystoun (listed separately), and Whitehaugh, remained with the same family and in 1762 Dr James Hay, a physician in Edinburgh succeeded his father. His wife, a daughter of Campbell of Greenyards died in 1770 and he never remarried. He instead put his energies into improving and enclosing the lands he owned. The farm of Whitehaugh and King's Meadows were described as "little more than open moor" before Dr Hay set about fencing, planting and cultivating the area. Hay's sons both lived near by; Adam in Hay Lodge and John in King's Meadows. Haystoun remained Dr Hay's principal country residence, although his main address was New Street, Canongate. His maiden sisters Miss Betty and Miss Alice lived in Haystoun. He revived the Smithfield baronetcy in 1805 and in turn passed it to his heirs. Since then, the farm has been let to many residing tenant farmers and is at present still in use as a working farm, although no longer part of the Haystoun Estate. Whitehaugh is of a similar style to the early 19th century Winkston Farmhouse (listed separately) located to the north of Peebles. Listed as a good example of a Peebleshire farm; especially due to the retention and use of the courtyard buildings.